What's new

Chris Carter's Millenium (1 Viewer)

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Would anyone besides me like to see the doomed TV series Millenium in a season by season box set (X-Files style)?

They're rerunning the series nightly on Canada's Scream channel. I like this series much better then X-files & would love to see a DVD release.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
*raises hand*

Yeppers. Release them and I will buy them. This show experimented with so many concepts new to the landscape of television and often left me in complete awe. Peter Staddon has stated publicly several times that he wants to release Millennium on DVD. Hopefully he will be able to do so in the near future.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'd definately buy all three seasons on DVD.

Didn't I read at The Digital Bits (in The Rumor Mill) that the show is in the works for DVD later this year?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm with you guys. I'll be buying these DVDs as well. I really enjoyed the first season, but after the writing just wasn't as consistent. It's still an enjoyable series, though.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Fox just started releasing "Millennium" after Season 9 of "The X-Files" using the same release pattern.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I loved seasons 1 and 2. I thought the season 2 finale was one of the best cliffhangers I'd ever seen of any show... then they killed it with season 3.

I'd definitely buy seasons 1 & 2.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I just read an interview with Peter Staddon about the Buffy DVDs. In it, towards the end, he says that they are looking into a Millenium box set for at least seasons 1 and 2. I think the Buffy thread was here in software, but I'm on my way out the door so I dont have a free min to look...

JQ

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The season two final episode was one of the most jaw-droppingly awesome pieces of television I have ever seen. There was an entire 9-1/2 minute section cut to Patti Smith's "Land: Horses/Land of a Thousand Dances/La Mer". Season Three did not have a chance after that, especially when they decided to completely revamp the series to make it more X-Files-like.

Regards,

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The season two final episode was one of the most jaw-droppingly awesome pieces of television I have ever seen. There was an entire 9-1/2 minute section cut to Patti Smith's "Land: Horses/Land of a Thousand Dances/La Mer". Season Three did not have a chance after that, especially when they decided to completely revamp the series to make it more X-Files-like.
And fire the guys who made Season 2 so great. Throw out quality for formula in the quest for ratings.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I would love to have at least the first season of Millenium, that was some great tv-making !! ;)
I read on a chatsession that Peter said it may come in 2002 on dvd.
So here is hoping.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Truthfully, I would rather buy spend my cash on Season 2 of Milliennium, instead of Season 1. Granted, Season 1 definitely has some great moments, but for the most part quite a bit of it was very repetitive.

When Carter left the series in its second season to look after The X-Files, long time TV vets Glen Morgan and James Wong took over , expertly crafting the second season to make it a contender for one of the best television shows ever (the episodes Darin Morgan wrote are also greatly appreciated).

Sadly, Wong and the Brothers Morgan left at the end of the season to pursue other interests; the show subsequently sunk to unbelievably low quality, although I have to admit the two part series finale was spectacular.

So, in order to get Season 2 , I will buy Season 1. I would imagine FOX realizes that Season 3 is definitely not well liked by anyone and not sink any more money into it.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The season two final episode was one of the most jaw-droppingly awesome pieces of television I have ever seen...
I agree completely. That was compelling, even subversive, television. I still think about that episode to this day.

Millenium, due in part to my interest in religion and modern day cults, is a show that reached greatness for me, albeit in just a few episodes. Not since The Prisoner had I watched television that so deftly melded social politics, the psychology of faith and mind control, and society without ever losing entertainment value and accessability.

Joseph

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Despite the rough start, I would buy a box set of Season 3. Once Michael Duggan left his exec. producer post, Chip Johannessen did what he could to resurrect some of the old glory. "Borrowed Time" (a brilliant story IMHO), "Collateral Damage", "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury", "Darwin's Eye", "Via Dolorosa", and "Goodbye To All That" (along with a few others) were all fine episodes that made up for the "X-Files-lite, religion contentless" stories that littered the opening months. Frankly, every season started slowly due to the addition of new exec. producers each time. Luckily, in all cases we saw a dramatic improvement in storytelling as the year progressed.
Heck, I am starting to consider Chip Johannessen as a personal hero. He joined the "Dark Angel" staff part way into the current season. Shortly afterwards, the script writing became radically better IMHO. I wonder why? :)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I would definitely buy seasons 1 & 2. In its 2nd season Millennium was hands down the best thing on TV. I could watch those episodes over & over again. I can't believe they even aired the finale. Amazing stuff.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
The only year Millennium was better than The X-Files was in its second season. Considering the third and final season was up against season 6 of the X-Files, that's damning it with pretty strong praise. Season 1 was way too dreary and repetitive...serial killer this, more serial killer that.

Once the show started delving into the subjects the pilot seemed to portend, it hit some amazing high marks. The Halloween episode w/the devil, the Christmas episode w/Frank's father, the episode based on the Chris McCandless story (wandering off in Alaska)...oh, too much goodness. Such a shame that once again like all Carter shows it never went anywhere. Then again, at least Morgan and Wong seemed to know this, by writing a series finale for season 2 that I don't think anyone could have followed well. (Not to say that all possible season 3s had to suck SO hard, though!)

I actually wound up watching all of season 2 over the course of three days. I taped the whole thing to watch if I ever was so inclined. One day over the summer I finally decided to give it a try. It was amazing. I had deliberately not paid any attention to the reviews it was getting because I frankly didn't care...I thought it would blow goats, but I hadn't yet entirely written of Carter's ability to run a show well (little did I know S2 wasn't done by him!!!).

The three episodes I named above were among some of the best television I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks