Chow Yun-fat joins cast of sequels to "Pirates of the Caribbean"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Danny Tse, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

2. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I believe this was announced a while ago. Is it official now that they're filming back-to-back sequels? If they do I'd like to see two seperate stories and not one long movie cut in half.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Okay, I'll 'fess up, the original PoTC is one of my guilty pleasures. If they can keep the spirit of the first one alive (along with the snappy dialogue and interesting characters) and successfully add Chow Yun-fat into the mix (I'm a big fan) then I'm officially excited for the sequel(s)! [​IMG]

4. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

I'm reminded of Swiss Family Robinson and the pirates led by Sessue Hiyakawa. A mean lot, these pirates from the Far East -- and all of them strangely impervious to coconut bombs, tiger attacks, and avalanches of logs and boulders. Hmmm...

They should have sent Kevin "Moochie" Corcoran into the pirate horde. Ten minutes with him and his insufferable shouting and rambunctious cute antics, and all the pirates would have committed suicide.

5. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Why is this a guilty pleasure? Pirates was a well done, fun, entertaining movie. It also had what I still consider the best acting performance of the year (someday the academy will recognize that a comedic performance can be the best). I thought Pirates was wonderful and don't understand why thinking so would have to be considered a guilty pleasure.

6. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

What part would Chow play? Like many of the actors in the Hong Kong movie industry, he seems to do well in action flicks.

I hope this movie, as mentioned above, remains in the spirit of the first.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Chow will be playing real-life 15th century Chinese pirate Cheung Po-tsai.

[​IMG]

8. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I agree with Todd, no need to feel guilty about enjoying POTC. I think of guilty pleasures as being the "so bad it's good" type of movie, but Pirates was rightfully acknowledged by most as being good, in its relentlessly silly sort of way. [​IMG]

I assume Chow would probably be some sort of villain/nemesis of Captain Jack?

9. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I don't know, I think most of the movie will be of Captain Jack trying to say his name right and trying out new and other names. [​IMG]

I just hope they don't kung-fu it too badly or anything. I wouldn't be opposed to some martial arts entering into brawls and what not, but not show stopping fight (dance) numbers. or make him a superman that preternaturally knows when someone or thing is sneaking up on him.

Adam

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Ironically, in the HK movie industry, Chow hardly do any martial arts movie. His movie career in HK is very diverse, from romantic leads to nutty comedies to straight dramas. I suppose he is best known in the West for his John Woo movies.

11. Rob Bartlett

Rob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Chow Yun Fat also had a relatively non-action role Anna and the King.

And yeah, i don't get how Pirates of the Carribean is considered a guilty pleasure. I mean, I thought it was severely overrated but its not bad at all, and its reputation is fairly respectable.

In fact, to heck with "guilty pleasures." If you like something, you like it. The people you know probably always like even worse movies.

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I don't think it was overrated. It was one of the most enjoyed films of the year and was a great fun, adventure ride. POTC is what GOOD popcorn films are supposed to be, which is why the "check your brain" and "its just for fun" defenses of the crap that is normally fed to us all summer have no merit.

I like the idea of filming 2 different stories, not just 1 long one. But it sounds more like 1 long story for the next 2 films.

I also like Chow Yun Fat being involved since he has a great presence and is a strong actor. I hope it signifies some comittment to maintaining the quality in the sequel(s). Bringing back Gore Verbinski is another very strong sign.

13. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Funny, Seth, because POTC is what I trot out as a defense against the "check brain at door" contingent. It's just a fun, summer film, but it treats its characters and the audience with respect. It is a decent movie made great by the performances. No guilt for me at all [​IMG]

As for Chow Yun Fat, well...I consider that great news. Like Depp, I feel he doesn't get enough exposure in quality films, so this should really help. It takes an actor with a lot of charisma to be a foil for Johnny Depp. Rush did it excellently...Yun Fat will do the same.

I think it's GREAT casting,
    Chuck

14. Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay Second Unit

He was known as 'the Gun Guy' for a while in the late eighties and early nineties.

15. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

I don't really think this is a concern. Chow Yun Fat isn't really a martial artist. I think people have a misconception of him because of Crouching Tiger. If my memory is correct he didn't really have any formal martial arts training prior to that movie. He's an action star yes, but it's more in the Tom Cruise mold than the Jet Li mold.

16. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Yeah, Chow Yun Fat isn't a martial arts guy. Now, if you're looking for a pirate captain to leap off the bow of a ship firing two muskets, one in each hand, just after some white parrots flutter by...well, he's your man! [​IMG]

17. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Now this had me truly laughing out loud.

18. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Nah, they'll just have Chow acrobatically duel wielding pistols for POTC 2. [​IMG]

19. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

What I meant above was that Chow, like many other actors in the Hong Kong movie industry is comfortable with action movies. It was not meant as a lack of confidence in his skill as an actor. Some American and European actors are uncomfortable in the action/fantasy/sci fi genres, but the HK performers make it look like unfazed fun.

20. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

[​IMG] to Chow