Chord DAC64

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig_Kg, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Has anyone else heard one of these?
    What they claim about them is true. They take CD to another level.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Craig,

It has received positive reviews in Stereophile and HiFi Plus from Britain. The latest Stereophile mentions some limitations in terms of user features but they really liked it.

I have not heard it myself but I am increasingly curious.

3. Craig_Kg

User features? What do they want? An onscreen menu? [​IMG]
    It has a switch at the back to set the buffer modes and the differences between them are audible (plus the light around the clear cover changes colour [​IMG]). I guess you have to turn it on and off manually.
    I was shocked. I was in the camp that digital was digital and that any differences would be subtle at best but they weren't. Just to be clear about this, the CD player I heard in comparison was an Arcam FMJ CD23T which is no slouch and we switched between using the player's analog output and the Chord DACs (using the CD player as a transport).
    It ain't cheap but it is digital technology so the price of this advance WILL come down [​IMG].

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. Craig_Kg

The time delay corresponds to the buffer filling requirements before the DAC receives data to operate - it's a bit odd when you change CD tracks etc but I wouldn't consider it a problem. It is in fact excellent for A/Bing against a CD player as you go back 4 seconds to rehear the same material when switching from the DAC to the CD player outputs [​IMG]. As for the lack of secondary outputs, well you could always use a cable splitter.
    Yes, the lack of jitter (since it is totally reclocked) is the only explanation that I can think of for the VAST improvement when the buffer is switched in. The quality of the DAC itself and the analog circuitry following it was evident in the slight improvement over the CD player when the buffer was totally switched out. What I can't fathom is why the buffer size made a difference unless it affected the oversampling rates that are used.
    I never appreciated the effect of jitter before hence my surprise at the level of improvement over a very good CD player. I would contend that this DAC, even though expensive, may be a bigger advance than SACD or DVD-A since it provides a huge upgrade to existing CD material.
    If you factor in the cost of replacing titles, the cost of a DVD-A or SACD player and the dearth of high resolution titles (plus the dubious benefits of extended frequency response), then the pricing of the Chord DAC suddenly looks less outrageous.
    Is there anyway I can change this thread topic?

6. Craig_Kg

Here is a review of the Chord. I wholeheartedly agree with all of its observations and conclusions.