chopped up aspect ratio on movies on tv???

Real Name
Brett
I know some movies are natively show in 16:9 but alot of them are wide screen 2.4ish:1.
I notice over alot of broadcast channels alot are showing movies and they seem to be zooming in the picture to fill the tv top to bottom and then i guess are losing content on the ends??? If this is a correct assumption then i would think its losing a little quality blowing the picture up slightly??
Not all channels do this, movie channels, hdnet and etc dont seem to be doing this as much. But FX or AMC always seem to show any movie to fit a 16:9 screen..
Just wondering if this was what is indeed happening and for what reason?? maybe to keep from having a really flat small window on a 4:3 set??

Real Name
Brett
yeah i always recognized it when they made "full screen" movies that fill a 4:3 set but i just never payed attention to the wider screen tv, until i started seeing movies i own on tv and they are all blown up lol. I much prefer the native aspect ratio...

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
You should've been around in the 80's. Every single movie that was released to home video or TV was cropped to fit a 4:3 screen. It wasn't until Laserdisc started offering movies in their original aspect ratios in the early 90's that it was even possible to see the entire picture outside of a movie theater.
Apparently some people have a really, really hard time with black bars & not every square inch of their TV being used at all times. It is odd that this is still happening since every HDTV has the ability to zoom or crop at the user level.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Eddie W. said:
You should've been around in the 80's. Every single movie that was released to home video or TV was cropped to fit a 4:3 screen. It wasn't until Laserdisc started offering movies in their original aspect ratios in the early 90's that it was even possible to see the entire picture outside of a movie theater.
Apparently some people have a really, really hard time with black bars & not every square inch of their TV being used at all times. It is odd that this is still happening since every HDTV has the ability to zoom or crop at the user level.
You must be under the assumption people read the owners manual for the stuff they bought...(sarcasm...sorta)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dav