1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing the right size set.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Beal, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Beal

Jeffrey Beal Agent

I currently have a small loaner television from my folks untill I can afford to get my own set. I have been torn for sometime though as to what set I want to get.

My first concern is a value for my money approach. I am able to spend up to $1500.00 its not very much but in the competative world of HT I have seen some nice set's for that price.

My other concerns are the size I am thinking with only being able to sit about 10 ft away from the TV that a 40-47 inch TV is probably best for the eyes. And still will be plenty big enough.

I found that I really like the toshiba TV's and I have been very tempted by the 40 and 42 inch widescreen models they produce. I am going to be using the HDTV so I will need a set that is compatable. Any suggestions please let me know. Thanks and have a great day all.

Sincerely, Jeff

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I know there's a formula you use to determine the zize of the set based on the total footage from viewing area to the actual set. I post this with hopes of someone seeing this and posting the formula.

3. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

I believe that formula suggests that the viewing distance to the screen should be three times the height of the screen (not the diagonal size). I'm not sure if this is relevant with widescreen sets but it's a starting point, at least.

Cheers,

4. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I personally don't feel that there's a perfect formula that will answer every question you have. If you sit 10 feet from the screen, I seriously think a 55"-65" would not be too big, but that's just me.

Thus, the best way to go about it would be to get a true measure of the exact viewing distance you are from your TV now in your room, and then simnply go to Best Buy or another electronics store and mark that same spot on the sales floor. See if the size of a 55" TV is too overwhelming at that distance. Then try a 65". Then try a 42", and so on.

I sit about 11 feet from the TV, and my next TV purchase will be a 65" TV, again, that's just me.

5. Jeffrey Beal

Jeffrey Beal Agent

Thanks for the info

6. TimothyM

TimothyM Auditioning

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Jeff,
    For $1500, you will likely be limited more by funds than by the size of HDTV your room can support. About the best RPTV I can think for that price would be a Panasonic 47" 16:9 HDTV, and it would need to be on sale probably.
    For tube HDTVs, there are lots of options. Here's a lesser known brand I found that looks very promising:
    http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...w/DM6552SW.asp
    This is a 32" directview 16:9 with a great picture and a VGA plug in the back. You can hook your computer straight up to it with no special video card and play PC games on a 16:9 HDTV! Also, just fits your $1500 limit.
    Best...

8. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I was viewing the 60" Philips and 65" Mits at best buy from about 5-6 feet away.[​IMG] Perfect for their HD (1080i), I don't know how it will look for 480p though.
    I sit only 6 feet away max from my set (27") and I plan on getting a 57"-65" widescreen for dvds/games.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Note that at 10 feet, you will be unable to visually resolve all of the detail in a 1080i HD image that's smaller than 72" diagonally (this is why 1080i is silly for the masses).

Most front projection users would opt for something even bigger. In an AVS forum survey, the average viewing distance was 1.5X screen width - which would be 80" wide for a 90" diagonal at ten feet.

IOW, as long as you have progressive scan at 10 feet you'll be fine with the largest set you can buy.

10. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Wht about at 6 feet, what do you suggest?
    After viewing the 60-65" widescreen sets (which admittedly still look 'sort' of small when compared to their 4x3 cousins), the 47" widescreens look miniscule.

11. Jeffrey Beal

Jeffrey Beal Agent

I just stopped by a local TV store in my area yesterday and I found a great buy on a 46inch mitsubishi for $1899.00 brand new and in the crate and not B stock. I might try and get the lil' wifey to consider a little more mula for a quality set like that. Thanks for all the helpful tips.

12. Kevin N

Kevin N Stunt Coordinator

I sit about 6-7' away from my 55" Mits. If everything were anamorphic DVD or HDTV broadcast, that's perfect sized. It's so enveloping that it really does feel like a movie theater. From Snatch to Toy Story 2, I'm amazed.
    That being said, it's too big for standard definition TV, games, and 4:3 content. Even ISF calibrated, DirecTV just doesn't look right unless I'm sitting at my computer desk about 10 feet away. Games are very blocky (*especially* 2D games, as well as older games like PSX). And, anime has very noticeable doubling, even with a decent enough progressive player (RP91). I can often see stair step patterns and shimmering.
    Watching anamorphic DVDs on the TV, especially with the expert calibration I received from Steve Martin, is truly an experience to behold, but the other content I mentioned is just passable. I would really disect my viewing habits to make sure of the 4:3 vs 16:9. It seems, however, that you have decided on 16:9. And in order to bring alot of rambling to a close, I think the 42"-47" sets are a good choice for that size room. Good luck. [​IMG]

13. Jeffrey Beal

Jeffrey Beal Agent

I've taken the Big Screen Plung. After measuring the distance is about 9' and I though I would get something as big as comfort would allow. I decided to get a 55' Mitsubishi its the 55859 I am happy because the set has even had the net command upgraded to version 2.0 and that only currently comes in the 2003 models. I found that after I get a brand new 2003 42 inch gold series it would be about $2000 for that set give or a take a hundred dollars and then buy a good decoder I would be in it about $2300.00 to $2400.00 and yet the 55 inch set with the built in decoder thats future upgradable it was around $2600.00 for a 2002 model on sale. [​IMG] Well it gets here on Monday and I am going to go and pick up my copy of Monsters Inc. Tonight I think it will be the premier movie. Take care all and thanks for all the tips
    Jeff,