What's new

Choosing the right external sound card for dolby compatible receiver (1 Viewer)

inckka

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephan
I'm playing the media (CD, DVD, BR, mkv, etc) on my Laptop and I'm looking for get the 100% pure 5.1 channel audio without any barriers from my Laptop to Home theater receiver. My home theater receiver does the 5.1 Dolby decoding for me. However its only got a S/PDIF optical and coaxial input.

After some research I've found several sound interfaces (external sound cards) Which promise to have various mind blowing technologies, Like HD sound, True HD, etc. And higher bit rates (24Abits), Higher sample rates (32KHz, 40KHz, 44KHz, 48KHz, 192kHz, etc) And the Prices are vary depend on Brand name to features.

Example Findings:

http://goo.gl/sziznR

http://goo.gl/x2ZQjh

Since my only requirement is to get my Laptop digital audio to the home theater receiver:
  1. Should I worry about sample rates and bit depths?
  2. Should I worry about those hardware's inbuilt technologies like, Dolby decoding on that hardware?
  3. My home theater does decode only 5.1 Dolby. So if I'm looking to play medias which encoded in Dolby True HD, THX, DTS, Can I use this particular encoding supported sound and direct the digital output to my home theater?
  4. Should I worry about these capabilities which above sound cards have at all? 5.Except the durability and the trustworthiness, should I worry about the brand names? Can I go with a Chinese NONAME cheap sound card?
P.S: I'm more eager to know about the technology behind this than having a list of brand names

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Toslink/coax doesn't carry lossless audio, so there is no point getting a "HD sound capable" card.

What "home theater receiver" do you have that doesn't support DTS?

Is this actually a HTiB?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks