What's new

Choosing the right AVR (1 Viewer)

internaut

Auditioning
Real Name
Parag
Hi guys,

I am presently trying to put together my first hometheater system. I am looking for the state of the art AVRs to work with Jamo/KEF 5-spkr system with per spkr wattage of around 90W @ 8 ohms. I have identified and am evaluating the Denon AVR2807 vs. the Marantz SR4001/5001.

The AVRs should be preferrably forward-compatible with the new HD technology. Will HDMI switching and upconversion available in Denon AVR2807future-proof my system:emoji_thumbsup: ? Clearly the Marantz SR4001/5001 does not support upconversion - is that an issue:thumbsdown: ? Should I consider any other factors while getting together an HD-ready hometheater?

Alternately, is there any option for standard hometheaters to be upgraded to HD-ready technology tomorrow without trashing the present day AVRs? This will save me a lot of cost besides saving me from hazards of "bleeding-edge" technology.

Thanks and look forward to some candid suggestions/inputs,

:star: Cheers:star:

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Parag, the AVR-2807 is not capable of HDMI upconversion, only HDMI switching. This is still an excellent choice for your new receiver.

Also, ignore the wattage ratings, they are literally pulled out of thin air.. I'd be surprised if either model is capable of more than 65 wpc, all channels driven. This is more than enough to drive your Jamo/KEF speakers. :)

If you're looking for a receiver that can be upgraded in the future via software, I would take a look at the Outlaw 1070.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I second the Outlaw, only thing is instead of HDMI it has DVI switching. Note that the Outlaw power ratings aren't pulled out of thin air, and is probably underated to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks