What's new

Choosing speaker choices in receiver's setup (1 Viewer)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
In the manual setup of my Yamaha HTR-5760, for front speakers there is the choice of SML or LRG. When SML is chosen, the lower bass frequencies assigned to the front L/R channels are passed along to the subwoofer; when LRG is chosen, the lower bass frequencies assigned to the L/R channels are passed along to the front speakers themselves, as intended. I have the JBL E80s for fronts and have found I almost prefer the sound better when I choose LRG because the lower bass frequencies are evenly spread along the front soundstage, however, the subwoofer isn't pumping out as much bass. When I choose SML, the highs and midranges are clearer and the subwoofer is pumping out more bass, but it doesn't sound as "full" or "ambient". For reference, I have the JBL E150 for the subwoofer, but am thinking of upgrading to the JBL E250, however, have read it's more "boomy" (I know, this specific topic would be better suited to the speakers forum).

I guess my question is whether or not the JBL E80s would be considered LRG speakers and will I hurt them over time pumping the lower frequencies for the front channels through them, or should I be choosing SML on the receiver to save my front towers from the low frequencies? Or, before my 30 days are up, should I upgrade for the JBL E90s? Or should I not worry about the E80s at all and let me ears tell me what to use because it won't hurt my speakers one way or the other.

I also realize this a combo receiver/speaker question, but since the receiver itself is asking the SML or LRG option, I figured this could best be answered in this forum.

Thanks again to HTF. This place rocks.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Generally speaking, you would set all speakers to small. If set to large, as you've discovered, the subwoofer is relegated mostly to the .1 LFE signal. On my receiver there is a third choice of LFE + Main where, when the mains are set to large, all bass below the crossover point is sent to both the sub and mains.....which I prefer in my enviroment. If your receiver doesn't have this option, you'll have to choose.

Mort

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Yes, on the HTR-5760 there is the choice of BOTH for all bass below the crossover point. I guess what is confusing with that is whether you set then SML/LRG for fronts and whether you set SBWF/FRT/BOTH for the crossover.

I'm afraid with LRG set for the fronts and then BOTH set for crossover after a while my JBL E80s will start smoking. ;)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This is for all those interested or anyone who finds this thread in a search someday...

I found the settings described in this thread above sound best at:

Front SML
LFE/Bass SBWF

The Front on LRG took away too much low end from the subwoofer and when the LFE/Bass is on BOTH it just sounds too muddy. The sound is much cleaner with the settings above. Or at least for my tastes.

Now to see if I should upgrade the front E80s for some E90s, and perhaps the subwoofer updgraded from the E150 to the E250, however, I'm getting enough bass now that I'm afraid in my small living room the E250 will be too boomy.

What I'm definitely upgrading is the center EC25 to the EC35 because of its midrange. Whoops, off to the Speaker Forum! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks