What's new

Choosing PJ Native Format (1 Viewer)

Bobby_M

Auditioning
After reading a great article on AVS regarding this subject, I'm wondering if you PJ owners can make a quick case for the native format you chose. Actually, perhaps a better question is, was the native format one of the deciding factors for you or was it secondary.

For example, based on user praise of the Pan 300U, it's the first PJ i'm going to consider. I AM slightly concerned that my satellite TV usage will be compromised. Currently on my 50" RPTV I view about 60% 4:3 and 40% widescreen DVD. I may be getting into dishnetwork HDTV sometime in a year or two so that may increase my widescreen usage. However, if I build a dedicated theater room, my shift might actually go to 80% widescreen usage because I'd be less likely to go down the basement for a TV show.

I suppose the major plus to using a 4:3 PJ and screen is when you go to mask. Masking a 4:3 to any widescreen format should only require horizontal masking correct?

Finally, if you were to pick a 4:3 PJ as the closest in value and image quality to the Panasonic 300u, which would it be? Thanks.

Bobby

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
First off, I picked a pj with a native 16x9 ratio because of the nature of the material I watch, 99% being widescreen and plan on doing HDef and HD-DVD when that comes so I wanted the extra resolution of the w/s panels. My particular projector is 1366x768 and I would choose either this or a 1280x720 which would do clean 720p
I suppose the major plus to using a 4:3 PJ and screen is when you go to mask. Masking a 4:3 to any widescreen format should only require horizontal masking correct?
Yes.
I should mention that I would list the formats you watch 4x3 vs 16x9 and look at which yields the better PQ then base your aspet ratio choice on that... for example, if you watch mainly DVD and some HDef (widescreen) and some regular cable TV (4x3) then it would not make sense to get a 4x3 setup because the 4x3 image would be larger (poor pq) while the widescreen material would be letterboxed (smaller).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my consideration(s) was all budget.
because i want a dlp, i'm limited w/ an under $4K budget to a 4:3 projector.
although i would love a 16:9 pj, i won't touch them until they hit my magic price point, which should be by next spring.
HD is not a concern for me for the next few years.
my viewing is 100% dvd content.

even with a 4:3 pj, i use a 2.35 screen with masking panels i move in for 1.85, 1.33 content.
a 16:9 aspect screen will still leave you with letterboxed bars on true widescreen films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks