Choosing entry reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jordan_C, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Jordan_C

Jordan_C Auditioning

I'm building a budget living room system(poor college student), and I'm having trouble deciding on a reciever.
    So far I'm thinking the Panasonic SA-XR25 or maybe the pioneer VSX-D812K. Any other recommendations that compete with these two in that price range($200-300)?

And since I've already started a topic on that and speakers relate to it, any recommendations on speakers? I was thinking of going all Paradigm. CC-170, atoms, and the PDR-10.

I know this won't be the greatest thing ever, but I need something that will atleast perform.

2. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

Receiver recommendation:

PANASONIC SA-HE200 Home Theater Receiver, price $299.00 at J&R. 130 watts a channel times 6 and all the bells and whistles you could hope for. A highly underated receiver, and probably one of the best buys you'll find anywhere.

3. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Panasonic SA-XR25 is very nice I hear.

4. Shaun Graham

Shaun Graham Agent

Just to throw another one out there, the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 can be found refurbished for $230 shipped at soundcity.com. It's authorized retailer too so it will carry the same 2 yr warranty as if it was new. I have the 225, which is basically the same unit except for OSD and an extra (insignificant) 10 watts per channel, and it works great.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

How about the Yamaha 5630? $200 or less in many places.

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love these with my Yamaha - loads of punch. Then i changed to a Marantz (4400) sounded a little less punchy but more refined. Maybe Yamaha if more movies and Marantz if more music.