What's new

Choosing Crossovers (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I have yet to get a subwoofer for my receiver and have a question. How do I set the crossovers ? There's an lpf for lfe that is set to 120hz...but what do I set the speakers to ? What do I set the speaker crossovers to get the most bass/low frequency out of them ?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It would help to know what receiver [and speakers] you're working with. Most have either Audyssey or their own proprietary systems to assist in achieving an "ideal" sound in a given room.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
It would help to know what receiver [and speakers] you're working with. Most have either Audyssey or their own proprietary systems to assist in achieving an "ideal" sound in a given room.
I have a denon avr-s530bt. The speaker are small bookshelf type speakers that came with my last receiver, an Onkyo R391.

I don't have Audyssey, though it does have an automatic room EQ thing. But because of my off balance hearing, those kind of things don't really work for me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From what I find, the R391 didn't "come with" any speakers, as in, it wasn't part of a complete system, so if you can provide some more info about the speakers it would be a huge help. What you set mainly depends on the capability of the speakers. In general though, don't try to route too low a frequency to them. That's what the sub is for. Let it do its job.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
From what I find, the R391 didn't "come with" any speakers, as in, it wasn't part of a complete system, so if you can provide some more info about the speakers it would be a huge help. What you set mainly depends on the capability of the speakers. In general though, don't try to route too low a frequency to them. That's what the sub is for. Let it do its job.
the r391 DID come with speakers. It was the receiver, subwoofer, and speakers.

I can't let the sub do it!s job because as i said, i don't have one. too low a frequency confuses me. what do i set the crossovers at, since i don't have a subwoofer ? the lower the number, the more low frequency goes to the speakers ?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, fine.

If you don’t have a sub, you set the L&R speakers to “Large” and the sub to “no” and then there’s no crossover to set. No sub, no crossover to set for the sub.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
OK, fine.

If you don’t have a sub, you set the L&R speakers to “Large” and the sub to “no” and then there’s no crossover to set. No sub, no crossover to set for the sub.
that's not how it works. i set the sub to no. but that doesn't mean there's no crossover to set. you need to set the front, center, and surround crossovers....since there isn't a sub. there is also lpf for life which is currently set to 120hz.

is there anyone here that can help ?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have yet to get a subwoofer for my receiver and have a question. How do I set the crossovers ? There's an lpf for lfe that is set to 120hz...but what do I set the speakers to ? What do I set the speaker crossovers to get the most bass/low frequency out of them ?

If you don’t have a sub, then run the speakers full range. There should be an option in the receiver’s menu for “Subwoofer Yes / No.” Set it for “No.” This will turn the crossover off.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you don’t have a sub, then run the speakers full range. There should be an option in the receiver’s menu for “Subwoofer Yes / No.” Set it for “No.” This will turn the crossover off.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Just to expand on this, if you set subwoofer to NO and your speakers to Large, even if your receiver still displays a crossover setting that value will be irrelevant. Your receiver will ignore the crossover setting and send the full range of audio to your speakers.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
As stated by John and Wayne, If you do not have a sub, set sub to "NO" and all speakers to "LARGE". All crossover settings should be grayed out as they are not used. If you have a LPF for LFE, do not change it, it should be set to 120hz by default and that's where it should stay. In the case of not having a sub, LPF for LFE really wont matter anyway.

Brian

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
As stated by John and Wayne, If you do not have a sub, set sub to "NO" and all speakers to "LARGE". All crossover settings should be grayed out as they are not used. If you have a LPF for LFE, do not change it, it should be set to 120hz by default and that's where it should stay. In the case of not having a sub, LPF for LFE really wont matter anyway.

Brian
what about the surr. parameter settings ? there is something called low frequency. it's baseline is 0 db and can be lowered to -1db, -2db, etc. what does this do ?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
no need to be a jerk, you loser. leave the answering of questions to those with respect of others.
Is this really necessary @Spottedfeather ? It's always interesting to me when someone accuses another of being a jerk during the very act of being one themselves. You may not know this but @JohnRice is one of the most respected experts on this forum and gave you the correct answer to your question in post #6. Since then, others have only confirmed it.

Your response was strange and not called for, even if you didn't understand you were talking to an expert at the time.

that's not how it works. i set the sub to no. but that doesn't mean there's no crossover to set. you need to set the front, center, and surround crossovers....since there isn't a sub. there is also lpf for life which is currently set to 120hz.

is there anyone here that can help ?

Even after this response, no one called you a "jerk" or insulted you in any other way. If you [admittedly] don't know "how it works" then how can you dismiss advice so casually? I'm not trying to attack you. I know a lot is lost in written [versus face-to-face] communication but I am respectfully recommending restraint.

Last edited:

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
no need to be a jerk, you loser. leave the answering of questions to those with respect of others.

Very disrespectful to an extremely knowledgable expert on this forum. At this point I will not be answering any of your questions as it seems that you know it all.

Good luck.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sajidjadoonisbb
Recent bookmarks