What's new

Choosing audio & speaker settings on bd player for soundbar with subwoofer (1 Viewer)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Hopefully this will be a short, simple thread. I just got a Philips soundbar and am unsure of the settings I should be using with my blu-ray player (Sherwood bdp-5004). Do I turn on all of the speaker options on the player (front, center, surrounds, and subwoofer)? Or do I just select the front speakers & the subwoofer? Or...? And, the subwoofer has a range of 20-150 Hz, and the player allows me to choose a setting of 80, 100, or 120 Hz -- what's best for this arrangement? As far as audio settings go, should I leave the Digital Output as PCM Stereo? Or, would I be better off choosing Bitstream Mixed, Bitstream HD, Bitstream Legacy, PCM 5.1 or PCM 7.1? I've checked the manual, but that was as helpful as me asking my dog... :rolleyes: Thanks well in advance! Ben

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Since it is a soundbar, send everything to it PCM downmix. It will divy up the 2.0 content as it sees fit.
Unless the soundbar is one of the few with discrete channel inputs. If it is, let us know.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I do not believe it has discrete channel inputs. It's a Philips CSS2123B/F7, btw.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
From the manual: On other devices such as DVD player or Bluray player, Select ‘PCM’ (PCM) from the audio output of the device.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Well, right. But in the case of my bdp, the options are PCM stereo, PCM 5.1, and PCM 7.1. I know it's not a true surround system, but does it matter which setting I put my player at to "help" the soundbar work "better?"

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
In emailing with someone at Sherwood, it was highly suggested I leave the audio setting at Bitstream Mixed. He also stated that the speaker settings wouldn't matter much - but I'm not sure why.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks