What's new

choosing amount of surround speakers (1 Viewer)

mikeHende

Agent
what's the differences between the 2.1, 5.1 e.t.c speaker setup? Which is better and why please? Thanks.

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
The point one (.1) in all the speaker configs references the dedicated LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel. Therefor a 5.1 system has 5 full range channels and 1 LFE channel. This whould be comprised of a Front Left, Front Center, Front Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, and a subwoofer (the .1). A 6.1 adds a rear center channel, 7.1 is the same as a 5.1 with 2 back channels (left and right). A 2.1 is a basic stereo setup (left and right front) with a subwoofer.

Increasing the number of speakers allows you to create a more enveloping soundfield (i.e. sound is generated from more location in the room includeing behind you). For movies this allows you to have sound effects "appear" to come from places other than the screen. You need to have a reciever that can decode the various formats that utilize multiple speakers to hear the effect. The same is true for music, although you need a special DVD player that will play DVD-Audio, SACD, or both.

BTW, welcome to the forumn

mikeHende

Agent
I didn't realize that you need a special receiver for the speakers for surround sound, I always thought that the satelite speakers would be connected to the powered sub via a crossover builtin in the sub itself, so are you saying that if I were to purchase a Home Theatre System [speakers] 5.1 or so that I would need a receiver to get the surround sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks