What's new

Choosing a subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

tcbmafia

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
My room size is 12x19 and I am trying to decide which subwoofer to get from Crutchfield. With my budget I have the choices of the Polk PSW 10 or 12. The ten is 50 watts and the 12 is 100 watts. The other choice would be the Infinity ps10 at 250 watts. I am running Polk speakers. Are there better subs at best buy or circuit city then the ones at crutchfield? Or is my best bet the STF-2 from HSU research? Please if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

tcbmafia

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
I am running the yamaha 1600. Have you heard the stf-2 and is 10 inch good for that size of room?

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
there are a lot of nice subs out ther I have 2 Bic h100 that i got for under $400.. Very happy with the 2 sub setup, also you might look at the VTF1 by hsu for about $400 shipped - Imho would go for the vtf1 over the stf2

STF – Single Tuning Frequency. The bass characteristics are fixed.
VTF – Variable Tuning Frequency. The bass characteristics can be varied between lower extension (‘music’ mode) or higher headroom (‘home theater’ mode). slightly lower powered version of the VTF-2 Mk 2

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would cross the Polks and that Infinity off your list for sure.

I have owned the PB-10 and it is an excellent sub, about as good as you'll find in 10" subs.

You've got that backwards, max extension is for HT (goes lower) and max output is for music (tighter). I owned a former version of the VTF-2 and it is a solid sub also, though the newest version is quite a bit different. The MkIII is also listed as being only $469, so if you chose HSU it would be the no brainer choice.

Jacob C

Second Unit
HSU or SVS you can't go wrong. I have an STF-2 and it is great. It absolutely destroys anything I have heard in places like best buy. Many people dont realize how distorted most subs are until they hear a good one.

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
John Garcia said:
You've got that backwards, max extension is for HT (goes lower) and max output is for music (tighter). QUOTE]

I just copy and paste form hsu website,

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having owned one of their subs, I'd have to say that the opposite is true. Music generally has less content in the bottom octave than movies, so you would want more extension for movies vs music. To be honest, I think their subs are equally at home with music in either mode (I kept mine in max extension), but music sounded better with it in max output because you got more kick and less extension.

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph

The VTF-1 is a slightly lower powered version of the VTF-2 Mk 2, 200W instead of 250W (which translates into a 1/2 dB difference, not perceptable), but still packs more power than the original VTF-2.

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree that a SVS or Hsu sub will give you much more for the money. I have an SVS cylider sub I got used and wouldn't be with out it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks