1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a receiver, please look at my list and recommend

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brad-L, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Brad-L

Brad-L Auditioning

Hi folks

I am putting together a home theater setup and my budget is about 300 dollars for a receiver.

My needs are a receiver that I can setup a decent starter surround sound to go with my HDTV, Xbox, and progressive scan DVD player.

Id like to spend about 300 on the receiver. I dont need an extremely LOUD receiver, just something that can handle the component switching preferably with no picture degradation, and surround sound for a small living room about 18x12 or so standard 8ft tall ceilings.

I am going to connect the HDTV box directly to the HDTV set, and the other component connector on the TV I will connect to the receiver for swithcing between the xbox and DVD.

To sum up, 300 dollars, need decent component bandwidth for switching without picture loss. For sound Im just looking for decent, clear surround sound.

The models I have been considering are:

JVC RX-8030VBK
    Pioneer VSX-D912K
    Kenwood VR-7070
    Yamaha RX-V440
    Onkyo TX-SR501

This is my first try at Home Theater so Im a newb and ease of setup is a factor.

Please help me choose, and if I missed any models you think I should consider for what I need please recommend.

Thanks in advance, quality forum [​IMG]

2. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

The Pioneer is the way to go at 40MHz for component switching it'll handle it. I think it's the best bang for your buck and I really like mine.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I remember when I first started doing research for my sound system I first thought about features.
    I wanted the most inputs,outputs and potential for a 7.1 system. I then started to look at my neighbours systems and realized quality of sound was being replaced by more features.
    It's important as well to match a receiver with the speakers you want. You'll want to match "bright" speakers with "warm" receivers and vice versa. Retail outlets have sound rooms that have expensive accoustic treatments so don't be fooled unless you want to go that route.
    Use the search button to find what other people's setups are. There's alot of info out there and I changed my mind three or four times before I made a purchase.

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

anything but the JVC

5. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

On that list the Pioneer 912. On the Yamaha up your consideration to the 540 as the cost is closer to the Pioneer 912 (etronics.com) but even then the 912 looks to be the better of the 2.

6. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

Add the Harman Kardon AVR 325 to your short list.

7. Brad-L

Brad-L Auditioning

Thanks for the imput its helped very much. I think I am going to go with the Pioneer 912.

One of the reasons is different people have comments on different models, but I have yet to hear anything negative on the Pioneer 912.

Also, people have been speaking positively about the ease of speaker setup with this model which influenced me because Im a newb.

Harold you mentioned 40mhz component bandwidth, the specs on the Crutchfield site claim it has 28mhz can you clarify please?

I think Im going to match this receiver with a set of the fluance speakers since ive heard nothing but good comments about their speakers.

8. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Crutchfield is wrong, it's been stated around here numerous times. In the manual on page 77 you'll see the Frequency Response for the Component Video Section is up to 40Mhz.

9. Brad-L

Brad-L Auditioning

Ok thank you. I was confused but Crutchfield seems to be the only site that faithfully tries to list the component bandwidth in an easy to find and compare manner...

I think Ill be taking listed specs with a grain of salt and just download the manuals [​IMG]

This also cements my decision to go with the Pioneer 912, the only thing that made me hesitate on it was it had the lowest bandwidth of all my selections (or so i thought) and the video capabilities of the receiver is very high on my HT needs.

the best price (including shipping) I have located for this receiver is this link below. Is that reasonable?

abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=prvsxd912k

Thanks again

10. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

My suspicions of incorrect specs at the Crutchfield site are probably related to advanced info supplied by each company prior to the release of their product. We have all seen the disclaimer- "Specifications subject to change without notice"