What's new

Choosing a rdouble-duty receiver for small room (1 Viewer)

MikeUp

Agent
I'm looking to buy an HT system that can also perform well with music. I've decided to try to choose a receiver first so I know how much I'll have left to put towards the speakers. I have a handful of preliminary choices and would love some feedback on them. Also, if you know of receivers similar to these that may fit my needs, please feel free volunteer them.

This will be a 5.1 system in a pretty small room, but with some strange acoustics. One wall is partial (3-foot gap between the top and the ceiling) and the ceiling is high, about 12 feet. The other side of the room is open to the largest room in the apartment, but it can be closed off with sliding doors. All in all, movie sound will not have to go far, but a little more push may be required for music, as I won't always be sitting right on the sweet movie-watching spot in the couch to listen to music. I'm deliberately choosing at least a few 6.1/7.1 systems to leave me "just in case" room to grow.

None of these hit the magic 100W of output but I don't even know if I need that kind of power in a room this small.

The Onkyos and the Yamaha are all about the same price ($350), but the Denon will cost me a little more, leaving about $150-200 less for speakers. My total budget is $1000-1200 for receiver and speaker set, including sub. I'm trying to leave myself at least $500 for speakers.

Denon AVR-1906
Onkyo TX-SR701 and TX-LR552
Yamaha HTR-5840

MikeUp

Agent
An interesting wrinkle...

I went to Stereo Exchange in NYC, one of the stores recommended here at HTF in another thread. A guy there said that, for a room as small as mine, I could forego the sub altogether. This would leave me quite a bit of money to spend on two fronts, a center, and two satellites. But I'm skeptical. He was clearly a music, not HT, guy, and I couldn't get him to focus on trying to find a balance between the two.

I should add that he was very helpful overall and patient with my ignorance.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
A Panasonic XR55 does nicely for both movies and music @ $230 shipped from Amazon

2 links for the price of one, a long discussion on AVSforum with a link to ecoustics ;)

MikeUp

Agent
Wow! I'd read some good things about the XR55, but had been skeptical simply because of the too-good-to-be-true price. But I have to say, I'm close to sold. For that price, I'm willing to "demo" it on my credit card at home. :)

That leaves me a lot more money to spend on speakers. Luckily, there's a store in town that carries the Paradigm CT-90 package. Really want to check those out and if I go with the XR55, I won't have to settle for the CT-70!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
if you can find a local retailer with a 30-day money back it'd be more comforting :)

you won't be disappointed, though, either way.. lkeep us posted!

love Paradigms, have a pair of C70s i use as back surrounds

MikeUp

Agent
Well, I think I've made a decision.

I'm going to go with the Panasonic XR55 and a set of Orb MOD1 with a MOD2 center channel.

Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere that'll let me demo any of these components. But with Orb's generous 30-day trial and the Panny's ridiculously low price, I'm willing to take the moderate risk.

I'll let everyone know my thoughts once I make the purchase and get things set up. I'll probably also have plenty of questions about set-up and getting the best sound.

MikeUp

Agent
I did wind up going with the Panny XR55 and the Orb Mod1 speakers with Mod2 center and their sub.

I couldn't be happier! I haven't even fully calibrated the speakers yet, just a rough once-over with the naked ear, and they sound amazing! I really can't believe the sound that comes out of these tiny wonders. In a bigger room, I think Mod2 speakers all around would be a must, but in my small apartment, the Mod1s are perfect as front and surround speakers.

These speakers are highly recommended if you're short on space, but still want a lot of speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks