Choosing a good Home Theater Package

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ShaunK, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ShaunK

ShaunK Auditioning

I'm not new to home theater myself. I've pieced together my own surround-sound system which I'm very proud of. Of course I've spent much more money than what most people are willing to put into their system.

I was recently asked by a couple of friends, who would like to set up surround-sound in their home, to help them pick out a good system. They aren't wanting to spend a huge amount of money (not over $500), but would still like a decent sound.

Since I haven't been out looking (and listening) to the different surround-sound packages put out by different companies, I was wondering if you guys could recommend one by a certain company (or at a certain store, i.e. Circuit City or Best Buy). I don't think they'll want anything more than 5.1, and a powered subwoofer isn't a must. Just a good-sounding $500 or less complete system.

Your thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i work at bb. this is my "budget-yet-still-decent" ht system i put together for folks.

[​IMG]
    Yamaha YHT-150

[​IMG]
    Sony DVP-NS575P

the htb is about 300 bucks. the dvd player is about 100 bucks. so, for 400 total you get the a solid system. the receiver is last year's stand-alone model. the speakers sound decent and include a decent powered-sub. the dvd player is perfectly priced and a solid performer. plus, they get the benefit of true separate components -- which is *always* better then having all your components in one chassis.

i'd put that system up to the pepsi challenge against any other htb around that price-point

3. ShaunK

ShaunK Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Ted. I really appreciate your input. Would you have any suggestions for something up a step from this outfit, just in case they would want to go a little higher-end?

Thanks,
    Shaun

4. John S

John S Producer

Do a search on the Onkyo 760 system.... Pretty awesome, and priced amazingly well at a few places.

You get into a real grey area up to about $1000.00
    You just don't get much more performance without breaking the $1000 mark is all.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Shaun, I moved your thread to A/V Sources because you are asking for recommendations of specific HTiB models. This is where you ask for that sort of thing.

The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level (i.e., "What is an HTiB?," "Should I start with an HTib or go with a receiver?," etc.).

Good luck on your project.

6. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

This is roughly the same system I have. It's nothing special but I think it sounds great. The drawback is that it doesn't have much room for expandability and upgrading.

7. ShaunK

ShaunK Auditioning

Thanks for moving the thread Jack. I'm a little new to this forum (although I've been a member of other forums for years). I really like this site. It's the best home theater forum I've found on the net, and I looked quite a bit.

Thanks again for all of you suggestions. I'm meeting with my friends this week to discuss some of the suggestions you guys have given me.

Thanks,
    Shaun

8. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

Don't waste your time on the Onkyo 760, i'd go with the 770 from HERE alghough it's 50 bucks above budget so I dunno. I don't have it I actually have the Yamaha mentioned above which I love(for the family room that is, not in my dedicated HT) but I've heard great reviews of this Onkyo system and wish I would've looked into it myself.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Whoops, nevermind, my suggested systems didn't include a reciever...

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You mean you can't buy an RCA to banana cable and hook speakers up directly to the DVD player...damn. [​IMG]

(I heard some guy at Best Buy telling a guy he could do this with his TV...and he sold the guy a bunch of cables and told him how to splice them together...ugh *rolls eyes*...I've been saying forever that priority there is the ability to sell service plans comes before product knowledge, but this seems rather fundamental to me...)

11. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm...I actually CAN hook speakers up to my TV through it's own speaker terminals. Now the RCA to banana plug thing...HA!

12. ShaunK

ShaunK Auditioning

There are a few higher-dollar TVs that have a built in receiver that can power a couple of external speakers, but they're usually very low wattage.