What's new

Choosing a center channel before mains ? (1 Viewer)

StevieC

Grip
It seems pretty widely accepted to match the center speakers with the mains, and that for HT about 60 - 70% sound comes from the center. Given this, does anyone choose the center channel first e.g. choose the center then buy the matching mains ? What are your favorite ways to audition a center channel if choosing the center before the mains ? Full range verus small centers ? What are your favorite centers under $800 and over $800 ?

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
I sold my old speakers to a friend who was just getting into home theater. I had a pair of Canton Karat 300 mains and KEF center and rears. Recently he dropped the center speaker, damging it beyond repair, and he asked me to go with him to purchase a new one. I suggested that he look ahead to what direction he wanted to go in future speaker upgrades and consider Paradigm or B&W since both are excellent speakers and would match the "european" sound of the Cantons.

He decided, based primarily upon budget, to go with the Paradigm CC-370 with the idea of replacing the Cantons with Monitor 7s in the future. I look forward to helping him spend more of his money in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks