Choose My Receiver!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy B., Jan 20, 2003.

1. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Stunt Coordinator

Well I believe I have narrowed down my receiver options here. I have been trying to do as much research as I can. I posted before about initially going with the Onky HTIB setup, as I dont need the elite system, and this performed fairly good out of the box. After hearing about a few problems associated with the receiver in this package, I am shying away from it. Here is what I am looking at now.....which would you choose, and why?

Panasonic SA-HE100 $240.00

Onkyo TX-SR500 $240.00 (are there problems with this one receiver too?)

HK 125 $310.00

This is going into a 14' x 12' room, that will be mainly for tv/dvd watching, with some use of a PS2 and music cd's. The speakers I plan on using are the Acoustic Research HC4's or the set that comes with the Onkyo HTIB system. I will save the speaker recommendations for another thread though. Thanks everyone for all the help they have been giving me!

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Here is a "Pros/Cons" list about the SAHE100 I've posted on a couple of other threads asking about the unit:

You might want to consider the Pioneer 811 as well, even though it's a fair amount (probably $50 or so) more than what some places are selling the Panasonic for.

Panasonic SAHE-100 basic pros/cons:

Cons:

* Spring Clips for center/surrounds connection. Front mains have posts.

* To be quite honest, the remote sucks. Not backlit, not glow-in-the-dark, not really much of anything. Still, I can at least switch between sources with the remote, make basic adjustments and +/- volume.

* Gets pretty warm. I have it in an open cabinet and although it does get warm, the unit has never overheated, even when I've pushed the volume for long (and I mean, all day) listening periods. Overall, you just need to keep it in an open area.

* DSP Sound Modes are pretty useless. Any two-channel listening will be perfectly fine in PLII or NEO-6. I don't think too much of the simulated "surround" modes.

Pros:

Unofficial DD-EX. Clicking a button on the front turns on an equivalent to Dolby Digital-EX. Likely, Panasonic didn't want to pay for licensing rights.

DTS ES/NEO-6. The reciever plays both official DTS Matrix and Discrete (the display on the reciever will note either "Matrix" or "Discrete" when the program first begins), as well as NEO-6. The reciever has correctly read all DTS-ES flags on the DTS-ES DVDs I've tried.

There is amplification for 6 channels (rear surround, l/r surrounds, l/r fronts, center) (the unit advertises 6x100w, but it's apparently - see Sound and Vision - been tested for more along the lines of 6 x 70w). In an 11ft x 11ft room, this is more than enough to get the room thumpin'.

PLII: Pro Logic II.

Lots of connections. Looking at the back of the reciever just now, I saw one digital coax input, 3 optical inputs and one optical output. 5.1 channel analog input (for DVD-Audio) and more.

Fine sound across the board: I've been pleased with the unit's sound quality for CD, DVD and DVD-A playback. DVD movie playback sounds very good to my ears, even at high volume. I've also been pleased with listening to network television in either DTS-NEO 6 or PLII.

Radio reception: Although I'm sure this varies with many factors, I've been pleased with the radio reception on this unit, which is more consistent than any previous radio I've had in this room.

Build quality: Although its bigger brother (the SAHE200, which goes for about $499) is supposed to have better overall build quality, I'm very pleased with this 25 pound unit, which feels and looks substancial.

Easy Hook-up: Almost forgot, I was very pleased with how easy it was to hook this up. It took me an hour and really, that was only because I was taking my time to make sure I plugged everything in correctly and securely.

3. Mike Pran

Mike Pran Auditioning

Hey jeremy don't forget the Marantz lineup, the 4200 and 5200 are excellent units and in your price range. The sound quality is excellent, better then the above and they offer 3 year warrentys. (very nice)

Don't be fooled by the low power rating on the marantz.. Marantz really offers true raw power and alot of other units/brands might have higher ratings, but its not as clean nor raw.

Thanks

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Of the three you've posted- the HK125, but I think you can get it for a little less. I'm not sure though as I've stopped looking. I bought the 225 for $350 shipped and no tax a while ago. Why? It's a better unit than the rest quality wise and sound wise. Now if you want more features- go for the Panny (I wouldn't though)- even for the features- the trade off isn't great enough. With the speakers you are using you will probably want a warm clean sounding unit- I think the Panny will be bright with those speakers mentioned. The oink will also be more in your face, but that's not a bad thing- A nice unit that Oink- some QC issues from time to time, like any and all receiver makers. A Marantz unit is also a good choice- right up there with the HK. In my opinion (and that's all this is), I would say almost any of these units will make you happy- so look to what you really need it for.

Aaron- nice post by the way[​IMG]

5. Bill**H

Bill**H Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy, I have the Onkyo HT-S650 system and yes it has a problem, if you run the Subwoofer Mode set to Mode 3 playing a DD disk. But, I still think it's the best bang for the buck for a HTiB. Just set the Subwoofer Mode to Mode 1. Mode 1 (sets the output of low frequencies of all channels to the Subwoofer). If you search for all of my posts you will see the one on January 20th that will tell you what I think of the system. In short, in your size room it will rock your world for the little money you pay for it. Just click on the search icon at the top of this message to see all posts by me.

6. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

At harmankardon.com you can get the refurb AVR-120 for $198.00. After researching- it has an extra set of usable inputs and weighs 6lbs more than the 125. The only upgrade I saw was the 6.1ch inputs on the 125. It (AVR120) has a full warranty. I picked one up and it looks brand new out of box and performs flawlessly. Just a thought. But of the three the H/K just sounds the best to me. The other I would consider would be the Pioneer 811s.

EDIT: misspelled harmankardon [​IMG]

7. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

What about the Sony str-da4es???

8. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

Brian_Tho: it's better than any of the other receivers mentioned in this thread.