Choices Choices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasV, Jul 31, 2002.

1. ThomasV

ThomasV Auditioning

Apr 10, 2002
    need some help deciding on a new HT setup.

Receivers - Yamaha 5490 / onkyo 600 or kenwood 6060
    SPEAKERS - JBL SCS150 / cerwin Vega / or KPLISCH

the setups in the stores sound only as good as they can be for where they are - so its hard to tell what they will sound like at home.

THe Kenwood has my attention and sounded treally good with Kplish speakers - but the Yamaha seems like a great receiver - not sure if I want to spend that much more (800 in best buy)vs 500 for the Kenwood) have not really heard the onkyo but read its supposed be good on this thread.

heard the JBL's - they sounded pretty impressive for the price (500) but not sure if they are good quality - they seem solid. really liked the KPLISH too - heard them on a kenwood and they were awesome - I am leaning towards them but they are 500 for five pus 350 for the sub

guy wanted 1300 for 5 kplish, a 150 watt bass / yamaha rx 630 and a DVD player - i though it was overpriced at first - but now am starting to think - have not found much on the 630 other than that its 70 watts per channel and the 5490 is 100 watts oper.- any suggestions?
  2. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Jun 11, 2002
    Sounds like you've decided on the Kenwood/Klipsch combo. If that's what sounded best, then go for it.

Two suggestions - (1) assuming you can't home demo these first, buy from a place with a 30 day no questions asked return policy. Then you can try them out at home and see if you are satisfied. (2) Use a credit card (I always use AMEX) that, FREE OF CHARGE, adds a year parts & labor warranty to your factory warranty. It is like getting an extended warranty for free. I don't know if Visa/MC/Disc. do this, but I know AMEX does. They even cover you for 90 days for accidents, theft etc., all FREE OF CHARGE.

I can give you a link to AMEX if you want more details.

Good luck, and enjoy the system.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    go for the yamaha/klipsch combo. kenwood's are pretty good receivers, but i think the surround-processing on yamaha's are excellent. 1300 for the whole setup (including dvd player...correct?) is pretty good.

you are correct in realizing that the way the speakers sound in the demo room will NOT sound the same in your house. the only way to truly audition speakers is in their final listening environment.

imo, your speaker decision will have more impact than the receiver you choose.

as jay mentioned, make sure you have a 30-day money back guarantee (no bs restocking fees either).

let us know if you have any other questions!

[edit] i forgot to mention that (personally) i'm not a fan of cerwin vegas. too much bass...not very good speakers for ht (again, just personal opinion - if you like the way they sound then that is all that matters.)