choices, choices...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Reehl, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Chris Reehl

Chris Reehl Auditioning

I am planning on buying a home theater for my room at college (i'd guess it's about 8-10" x 15"). I want to spend no more than $600-700. Thus far, I've looked at the onkyo 770, and it seems like a great deal. Recently, I've been browsing around Fluance's web site, and their prices seem amazing. How would the stx-htb or av-htb speaker packages compare with the onkyo system when paired with a $250-300 reciever? I'd be willing to wait to buy the sub if the difference in sound quality would be substantial.

And a sidenote -- if you recommend going with fluance, what reciever would be a good pairing?

2. Chris Reehl

Chris Reehl Auditioning

I am planning on buying a home theater for my room at college (i'd guess it's about 8-10" x 15"). I want to spend no more than $600-700. Thus far, I've looked at the onkyo 770, and it seems like a great deal. Recently, I've been browsing around Fluance's web site, and their prices seem amazing. How would the stx-htb or av-htb speaker packages compare with the onkyo system when paired with a $250-300 reciever? I'd be willing to wait to buy the sub if the difference in sound quality would be substantial.

And a sidenote -- if you recommend going with fluance, what reciever would be a good pairing?

3. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Onkyo. You will not find a better HTIB deal out there. It gets great reviews here on this board as a starter system, especially for something small like a dorm room. I had the same setup and it was great for my listening preference (loud). For the money, onkyo ht-760 is a great buy. And when you want to upgrade the speakers, the onkyo receiver is sufficient when the upgrade bug hits.

4. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Onkyo. You will not find a better HTIB deal out there. It gets great reviews here on this board as a starter system, especially for something small like a dorm room. I had the same setup and it was great for my listening preference (loud). For the money, onkyo ht-760 is a great buy. And when you want to upgrade the speakers, the onkyo receiver is sufficient when the upgrade bug hits.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'd say the Onkyo should do a good job for you right now too. Your room, like most dorm rooms isn't that big and it will probably work out fine. After you get out of college and financially secure, you could look for something better.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi there, Chris, and welcome to Home Theater Forum. FYI, when asking for specific model recommendations -- in this case, about HTiBs -- please post in the hardware-related area that pertains to it (in this case, A/V Sources). The Basics area is for people who need to ask, say, "What is an HTiB?" In other words, general discussion at the beginner level.

Good luck on your A/V mission!

7. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Id go with the Fluance package in a second..