What's new

choices: buying my first 51" or 57" tv: lcd/ldp RPT or crt RPT ... which one? (1 Viewer)

canali

Agent
Choices? want to buy my first 51 or 57 tv: is crt lcd/dlp or rpt crt the route to go?
I have an older 26 flat screen sony (and high end audio gear) and want to buy my first 51" or 57" widescreen HT tv but am indecisive as to which venue to pursue: rpt lcd/ldp or rpt crt based tvs.

I've done a fair amount of research and although RPT ldc and dlp are lighter than RPT CRT based, the technology is still not quite there...esp with speed images leaving a trace...more over the cost difference for similar screen sizes is a big difference. ie, i'm looking at a hitachi 57s500
for only cdn$2600 vs $4500 for a sony RPT lcd.

Any suggestions on both the route to go and the model to choose
....i don't want to spend alot and in 1-3 yrs have something outdated.

cheers
joe

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
There are any number of opinions on this matter and a lot of it boils down to personal preference. In general, CRT-based RPTVs are the least expensive and offer the best bang for the buck. When properly set up and adjusted, they provide arguably the best picture with the deepest blacks. On the down side, they require periodic convergence adjustments, they are big and heavy, and they are susceptible to burn-in if not properly cared for. Fixed pixel displays, (like LCD and DLP) offer a great advantage in size and weight, as well as ease of use, setup, and absolutely no danger of burn-in. However, they suffer from poorer black levels (particularly LCD), as well as motion artifacts (LCD) and rainbow effect (DLP).

I have a 57" Sony CRT RPTV and am extremely pleased with the picture. HD content looks superb, and SD content looks better than on most sets I've seen. In the time since I purchased my set, I've grown to like the DLP sets a great deal. I think the DLP technology has improved dramatically in the last year, and the latest models hitting store shelves right now are a great option if your budget allows.

If your budget is on the modest side, CRT RPTV is the way to go. For less than us$2000 (sorry, I'm not up to date on my conversion rates) you can get a nice set with enough features to survive WELL beyond 3 years.

Good luck!

-Jason

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
When people say that CRT RPTVs are not only the bargain in price comparison, but also quality, I'd have to agree. The caveat is that you may need to twek convergence to keep it in tip-top shape from time to time, and wear may be an issue, though if you calibrate it you will be fine.

The best RP-quality, and it's cheaper than the digital competitors? It is the bargain route for the best PQ.

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm waiting for relatively inexpensive LCOS. Intel is promising units/chips by xmas or early next year. It may be worth it to wait.

Byron_T

Grip
I have a Hitachi 57S500 that has been ISF calibrated by Gregg Loewen and I could not be happier. The picture is great. If you do get a RPTV you should really consider have it calibrated by a pro. It will make all the diffence.

canali

Agent
RE: hiring a tv calibrator....that's interesting....under what services in the yellow pages would I find a tv calibrator...perhaps under
tv repair or something like that?

canali

Agent
RE calibration: just found this out.

Professionally calibrated, TV sets look even better. (Go to www.imagingscience.com or call 561/997-9073 to find a trained technician near you.) Not only can the color-temperature and color-decoder settings be improved, which makes images even more rich and varied, but the scan-velocity modulation can be disabled. This eliminates ghosts and improves real detail, as well. The results, as indicated by the number of people who walked into our evaluation room during the course of my review and commented on how good the picture is, are outstanding.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I don't think you can buy a new 57S500 anymore. You might want to look for a 57S715 instead. It should be about the same price, and it has a tuner built in + cable card support.

Byron_T

Grip
As far as ISF calibration, look around on these boards and you'll find plenty of information. Gregg Loewen is a moderator on this site that travels around the country calibrating sets. If you want to have the set calibrated you might want to include it in the budget. Depending on who you have calibrate it the cost will typicaly be between $400 and $700. I had my set done about eight months after I bought it. I was skeptical about how much difference it would make but it has been well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks