Choice of 2 DLP TV's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Galen_M, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Galen_M

Galen_M Auditioning

I'm picking up a tv this weekend and pretty much decided on the Samsung HLR5067W when a salesmen started trying sell me on a Mitsubushi WD52327 for the same price. It's 2 inches bigger but I could care less about that. Aesthetically I like the Samsung better but if someone can tell me some other reasons the Mitsu is superior I'll consider it. Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

Get the one you want out of the two.

I was able to find quite a bit more information on a quick web search on the partiulars ofthe DLP light engine in the Samsung than I was ther Mitsu. So I could not find enough info to make an informed choice.

They look decently comparable. Most places had the Samsung less than the Mitsu, so if he has the Mitsu less than the Samsung it may be technically a better deal.

The DLP heads here should be able to shed more light on any differences between the two though.

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Sometimes their info is bad, but according to amazon, the mitsu doesn't have an hd tuner built in. They say the same thing about the sammy, but according to sammy's website it has both atsc and qam tuners built in. I've been looking at that exact sammy as well as the 44" panasonic lcd rp. I think I am going with the 50" size of the sammy, which is now $1799 from amazon with free shipping. It was $1709 yesterday, so I am hoping they drop it back down.

4. Galen_M

Galen_M Auditioning

Wow, good price on that at Amazon. I considered getting it online but just don't like the idea of such a big ticket item in cause it had any issues upon arrival. I think I may end up getting it at Circuit City. They have it for 1899 this weekend.

5. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Galen,

Are you are planning on buying anything else at CC this weekend? If so always try to get an additional 10% off (or more) anything else you buy in conjunction with the tv ie surround system, interconnects, etc. etc.

I have tried this both at CC and other stores with some limited success. Never hurts to ask for additional gimmies when you spend close to 2G's on a tv.

Just my .02 which is free [​IMG] even with a 10% discount[​IMG]

6. Galen_M

Galen_M Auditioning

Thanks Rick, yeah they mentioned that to me. I was going to buy the TV tonight at Target because a friend works there and was going to use his discount but they didn't have any on the floor. I stopped by Hifi Buys just to see what they'd say to my out the door price at Target and they beat it so I ended up picking it up there tonight.

7. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Galen,

Congrats to you! Which Tv did you end up with?

I'll understand if your too busy with your new Tv to post a reply!!![​IMG]

8. Galen_M

Galen_M Auditioning

I ended up going with the Samsung. Got a heck of a deal for it I think. It's torturing me right this second though. Sitting in the living room unwrapped. I promised the wife I'd build the new entertainment stand before unpacking it. Think I've done all I can hack on it for tonight. I'll get it done in the morning and all set up by evening.

**Well, was trying to post some pics of my progress but I evidently have to have a minimum number of posts first.

9. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Galen,

Enjoy that new TV and may I wish you many happy hours of HDTV bliss!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]