What's new

Choice: Loewe Aconda and Sony 34XBR800 WEGA (1 Viewer)

JerryBenner

Auditioning
On this Sunday (11-20-02) I will most likely make the purchase of either the Loewe Aconda or Sony 34XBR800 Wega. This will replace my current tv which is the Sony 36XBR200 WEGA. Both of these units meet with the WAF which had nixed the idea of any type of widescreen (too big and ugly) or plasma (she fainted at the price of a good unit). The price difference between the two is a little less than $1400.00 with the Loewe being the more expensive one. The $1400.00 is a concern because I don't have a progressive DVD player and that amount would buy a very nice one. I've done the research on both and now I'm asking for your help. I would like any type of advice, expertise, knowledge, or past experiences that will help me get my mind around this purchase. I need to step back from this upcoming event and weigh the pros and cons of others because I can't think coherently about this subject anymore. I will thank you all now for the time and effort you will put into this matter.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jerry,
Although I love Sony TVs, this is a no brainer. Search on my threads and you will see a thread on the Loewe. This recently won best direct view TV in The Perfect Vision awards.
With the Aconda you get a Faroudja quality line doubler as well. I don't think you get that in the Sony.
The only thing is you need a darker room for the Aconda as it has a slightly curved front surface. Lights out! :)
As good as the Sony's are, the Loewe's come finely calibrated to NTSC out of the box and the 3D image presented is by far the best I have ever seen. I am saving for one.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I vote for the Aconda too.

You say widescreens are ruled out, yet both the Sony and Loewe are 16:9. Did you mean to say "bigscreen"?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The Loewe is a better unit but I don't know that I would spend that much more on it. Another option would be to get the sony, a good PS DVD player and an ISF calibration. I think after the calibration the sony would look better than the loewe out of the box. This is a tough decission.

JerryBenner

Auditioning
Jim,

Yes you're right I might to write bigscreen but by any name she does not like them. The compromise in that department was that I get a 16x9 tube tv of my choice.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, you would be hard pressed to be presented with a much better choice than this. The Loewe is widely regarded as a standard of direct-view excellence.

True, as Jeff notes, you could have the Sony calibrated to rival the Loewe's out-of-the-box accuracy to the D6,500 standard.

But the Loewe really does seem to cause job-dropping spells among editors and online reviewers and others who look at the thing. Too, it inspires admiration even when turned off, given that styling.

If it were my good fortune to be in your position, I'd count the days until the ol' home theater has the Loewe Aconda as its new centerpiece.

NathanS

Agent
You could look for one of the lingering RCA 38", since they use the same tube as the Anaconda, and they're really cheap now. Or you could get one of the 43" Samsung DLP's, they aren't much bigger than the Anaconda, but they're way lighter.

If it were my choice, I'd go with the DLP.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If you want headaches, heartaches, and high blood pressure, then, sure, go for that 38-inch RCA. Its electronics are completely different, and its weak power supply tends to self-destruct. Avoid.
And, guys, no offense, but it's Aconda, not "anaconda." :)

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
I would stay away from the RCA. It has terrible reliability and the remote is a nightmare to use. In contrast the Loewe has the best picture of any direct view I have ever seen. It does a digital progressive scan on everything you feed into it and the remote is an incredible achievement in ergonomics and function with such an easy to understand menu setup. It even has the manual on screen under the menu system and definately has the wow factor when people come over. On top of that they come with 2 year on site service and can self diagnose itself should anything go wron (which is unlikely). The Sony is okay but if you're going to keep the set for a while, I'd go with the Loewe personally.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
The November 2002 issue of WSR reviews the Loewe Aconda. The image quality is phenomenal but the initial set-up process/menu system is far from intuitive. I've looked at one myself at a local A/V store and it's not exactly user friendly. Not sure why a direct-view set of this caliber would be set up this way... or perhaps, that's my answer.
For that kinda price, I don't think I could afford the Loewe. I've always used Sony television and currently have a Sony WEGA 36FV15. I already have a pro scan DVD player (just waiting for the HDTV) so I'd probably use the extra money for an ISF-calibration.
*shrug*
As Jack pointed out earlier, you'd be hard pressed to be "stuck" with any other choice than the one you're faced with.
Best of luck... I personally don't think you'll go wrong either way as both of the direct-view sets you're currently contemplating are very superb in image quality!! :)
Scott.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
If you want the best picture the answer is the Loewe. If you want a set that you can get for $2499 with DVI and that accepts a progressive scan input go for the sony. I am not sure I understand your $1400 difference. The Anaconda is like $5500, and if you want a progressive picture you have to get a VGA to component adapter. The price difference is way to big. Also consider the Philips which also displays one of the best 3D pictures and is only $2499. My friend bought the 30" Aconda and had to bring it back twice and exchange it for a new one. He had what is called a meridian pattern on either side. He was told it was because the tube was not tight enough. The customer service was excellent although my friend was given a hard time by Harvey Electronics. He decided to get his money back and go with the samsung dlp. If you were getting the 30" Aconda then I would wait as they are releasing a new model at the end of this month with a motorized stand as an option. This new model will still not contain DVI but may have resolved the progressive scan issue. To me it is not a real issue because the picture is better than any progressive scan DVD player very 3D.

JerryBenner

Auditioning
Answers to questions:

1. Cost of the Sony is $2200 and the Loewe Aconda on sale at $4000 and for this Sunday $3800 (and a vague promise of $3600 if I bring cash. I think they are dropping the line due to lack of sales).

My questions:

1.A progressive DVD into the Loewe (or is it all HDTVs?)has to go from VGA to component adapter not component out to component in?

2.If this is true does anyone know the additional price?

3. I'm not familiar with the term DVI can anyone explain?

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I think it is because of the internal line doubler, scaler. You would need a component to vga and possibly a transcoder box. The point of the Loewe is that you do not need a progressive scan DVD player the internal scaler is that good. DVI stands for digital visual interface. The major studios asked for a connection where they can have copyright protection over their property. So they came up with this thing where in a couple of years if you don't have a DVI connection on your TV they can not protect their movies and shows and whatever. So what they will do is limit the amount of resolution going out and coming in to your TV. So instead of 1920X1080, you would get 960X540. Cutting your HDTV resolution in half. Granted this has not gone into effect but is what has been proposed to happen. Possibly by the end of next year. Now I left out all the correct mumbo-jumbo like HDCP. I hope this helps if not just ask some more and I will do my best.

JerryBenner

Auditioning
Questions:

1. How much importance should DVI factor into the decision of choosing one tv over the other?

2. To keep costs contained is the internal line doubler in the Loewe Aconda good enough that my old Sony DVP-S7700 will look as good as a new progessive scan DVD player?

3. Or to truly reap the benefits of this new technology I'm buying I should buy a progressive scan DVD player with the Loewe?

4. Seeing the Sony 34XBR800 Wega does have an internal line doubler would then mean a progressive scan DVD player must be bought?

5. Manny S.- Thanks for the price I will keep that in mind on Sunday!

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
4. Seeing the Sony 34XBR800 Wega does have an internal line doubler would then mean a progressive scan DVD player must be bought?
On the contrary it means you could use the internal scaling in the TV. Also since it has a 480 component input you could use a progressive scan also. In this situation I would go with a progressive scan DVD player because the internal scaling is no where near as good as the Loewe.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have the Sony 34XBR800 and am very happy.

If you can afford the $1,400 extra, it is an easy choice for the Loewe.

JerryBenner

Auditioning
Thanks to everyone for all of their help and advice. I got the Loewe Aconda but from a back-up source and a better deal. The vague promise from one dealer was exactly that so off I went to The Good Guys and I'm glad I did. I got the Loewe Aconda unit in metallic for $4200.00 including a 5 year extended warrranty (their ESP program), tax, delivery, and set-up. All that and I'll use their money until 2005. Have to wait a week or so for it to come in but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks