Choice between a few 32" and a few questions about specific models comparison.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yan_P, May 16, 2001.

1. Yan_P

Yan_P Auditioning

Lookin' at what been told to be good picture brands and what brand I don't trust I narrowed down to 2 brands, Hitachi and Toshiba, Sony being a too everpriced.
    In the Toshiba line out, the 32" with component input that stand in my price range are the 32A60, the 3250 and the 32A40. I took a look at teh specs are they are identical. The differences are all in the gadgets I don't need, fonctions and stuff. But I didn't take a look at the pictures in store yet... Picture wise, is there any differences between those?
    Same question with Hitachi 32GX and 32UX.
    And overall, in a meaning of picture quality/price, which one would you pick up? I'm missing time and I can't my time to watch every model one by one...

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I love Toshiba's direct-view sets. And I've seen a 32A50 in action in a good setting, its picture controls at reasonable settings. Find a good deal on this set, and you'll be quite happy. On my 1999 Tosh, I go into the service menu in order to compress the raster for viewing anamorphic DVDs. Fine performance there. And Toshibas have generally excellent color.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I didn't notice any substantial picture difference when viewing these 3 sets side by side at Best Buy with the same signal. I currently own a 27A40 but have looked at the 32 versions for awhile. As for differences other than features, someone mentioned to me that they may use better components in the A60 and while the A60 line does have a completely different service manual from the A40 and A50 lines, Toshiba would be the only person to answer this question and I doubt they're going to tell you that they use crappy components in the non-A60s.
    The only other thing I'd say is that my Toshiba emphasized green in the darker end of the grayscale. It wasn't a color decoder issue since the Avia test pattern showed that neither red, blue, or green was being pushed noticeably. But nevertheless I saw a greenish tint to darker objects that annoyed my eyes. This was "fixed" by lowering GCUT in the service menu but my eyes still pick it up sometimes. My main point is you should take the time to take a quick look at whatever tv you're going to buy to make sure your eyes agree with your purchase.
    cheers,
    --tom

4. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Yan,
    I have owned the Toshiba 32a50 for 6 months now and I love it. I have it calibrated with Video Essentials and it looks wonderful for a direct view set. I run DVDs though a Panasonic RV-30 with component cables and get deep rich colors. I also use homemade mattes when watching widescreen materials. For the price it's hard to beat. Go for it.
    ------------------
    Have good mosh-pitting!!