What's new

Chitty SE? Outer Limits S2? Mr. Ed & Green Acres? COULD THIS BE THE MGM 2003 SLATE?!! (1 Viewer)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
www.tvshowsondvd.com has some encouraging updates today regarding both "Mr. Ed" and "Green Acres"

Green Acres

The Place To Be!
10/01/2003

Six months ago we posted this rumor about a Season 1 DVD release coming for Green Acres. The info was supposed to have been sourced from an MGM sales sheet shown to retailers, and said that this would hit in November 2003.

Boy, we were green with embarassement here when MGM announced their November DVD slate, and there were no TV-on-DVD sets of any sort listed. Was it delayed (perhaps to accomodate holiday sales of MGM's 007 DVD boxes)? MGM isn't addressing this, so we can't answer. All we know is that it won't hit stores before 2004.

But Green Acres - Season 1 IS coming. MGM has provided a VERY basic notice that only mentions a running time of 800 minutes, and a list of included episodes (which is all 32 first-season eps, displayed in production order):

Oliver Buys a Farm, Lisa's First Day on the Farm, The Decorator, The Best Laid Plans, My Husband the Rooster Renter, Furniture Furniture Who's Got the Furniture?, Neighborliness, Lisa the Helpmate, You Can't Plug In a 2 With a 6, Don't Call Us We'll Call You, Parity Begins at Home, Lisa Has a Calf, The Wedding Anniversary, What Happened in Scranton, How to Enlarge a Bedroom, Give Me Land Lots of Land, I Didn't Raise My Husband to be a Fireman, Lisa Bakes a Cake, Sprained Ankle Country Style, The Price of Apples, What's in a Name?, The Day of Decision, A Pig in a Poke, The Ballad of Molly Turgiss, The Deputy, Double Drick, Send a Boy to College, Never Look a Gift Tractor in the Mouth, Horse? What Horse?, Culture, The Rains Came, Uncle Ollie

It shouldn't be a long wait before MGM releases full-blown specs for this. Stay tuned, and we'll get back to you with all the details, including an exact street date.

Mr. Ed

DVD release info starting to leak out
10/01/2003

It's been six months since rumors hit that Mister Ed was coming to DVD. The rumor - which supposedly came from an MGM sales sheet shown to retailers - indicated that a Season 1 set was on-the-way for November 2003.

Well, MGM has already announced their complete November DVD slate, and the talking horse was nowhere to be seen on it. Was the rumor wrong, or the date incorrect, or was the info correct at the time but changed later (perhaps to accomodate holiday sales of MGM's 007 DVD boxes)? Frankly, we don't know.

However, information about a Mister Ed DVD release IS starting to leak out of MGM now. No release date has been mentioned, and there are no details yet. In fact, the info we DO have is a little schizoprhenic: Although the title "Mr. Ed - Season 1" is shown in the notice (followed immediately by a listing of all 26 first-season episodes displayed in production order), it also says in multiple places that this release will be "The Best of Mister Ed - Vol.1", and displays the graphic that you see pictured.

Which way are they going with this? Since no telling specs (running time, disc count, or price) are mentioned yet, we just can't tell. We're waiting on MGM's full-blown announcement to clear up the mystery, and to give us a concrete date (it won't be before January, though). Stay tuned, and we'll have that for you just as soon as it's available.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Ed has been "announced" at tvshowsondvd

I'm confused though. The news item from earlier this week indicated MGM hinted at a possible season one release. However the cover art and title appears to be a "best of" (albeit a Volume 1) (which was also mentioned in the earlier news item).

I am disappointed that this is "best of". I was planning on buying a "season one" set. Now, I will think twice on this and hope that this is really a season one disguised as a "best of" (if that makes any sense).
---------------
Updating our news item from yesterday, MGM has released a planner of their DVD releases for January. The Best of Mister Ed - Volume 1 was included in it (MGM hasn't given an exact date yet, though). The image below, showing the list price of $39.98, comes out of that planner. No other information is provided yet, but at least there is an early look at the box art (sorry it's so small):

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I said in my news item I posted yesterday (which you quoted!) that "it also says in multiple places that this release will be 'The Best of Mister Ed - Vol.1'".

Today's info and box art just confirms it (if you squint you can see that the box art says "Volume 1" on the bottom, and "The Best Of" is decently visible).

I realize that it's disappointing if it switched to a best-of release. It's still confusing the way that all the first season episodes are on that list, though.

Also, Mr Ed has 26 eps in S1, and Green Acres has 32 eps in S1. Both DVDs will sell for $39.98 SRP. At the "both are S1 releases" level, I find it easy enough to believe that ME will sell for the same price as GA and have 6 fewer episodes. But if you drop the number of eps for ME and still charge the same price, now you're getting unreal.

I have to wonder how this will play out. Right now, I can only parrot what MGM's saying. And "The Best Of...Volume 1" is what they seem to be saying right now.

Stay tuned; I'll let you know more just as soon as I can find out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks