Chitty Chitty Bang Bang SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BruceKimmel, Oct 9, 2003.

1. BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel Stunt Coordinator

Got an early copy of the new special edition of Chitty. Finally we have a lovely anamorphic transfer (2.20) with gorgeous sound and color, complete with overture, intermission and exit music. It's a beautiful package, with a very large full color booklet, 2 discs - the first has the movie (widescreen on one side, pan and scan on the other), and a handful of extras. The second disc has a "looking back" documentary with Dick Van Dyke that is totally inept. It's basically twenty-five minutes of Van Dyke remembering a few things, one-liners, intersperced with clip after clip after clip from the film. It carries a copyright date of this year so I'm assuming it's new, but I do wish they'd gone the extra mile and gotten the kids and whoever else might be around, including the Sherman Brothers.

The clips in the doc are fascinating - they're the wrong ratio (2:35) and the color is brown and awful. I can't remember if that's the way the laserdisc looked, but it shows you just how amazing the new transfer is. There are several little featurettes made at the time of the film, a sing-a-long, promo materials, etc.

For those who think they're getting the best of both worlds by having the pan and scan, be warned - it's not taken from the new transfer; it's the same brown ugly crap that was used in the clips from the documentary. Oh, well.

The film is the film. Like Scrooge, it wasn't all that successful or well-thought of on its initial release, but it's grown in popularity ever since and is now considered a classic of sorts. It does look like a children's James Bond film, given Ken Adam and Gert Frobe. Anyway, it looks great and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the transfer.

2. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

"It does look like a children's James Bond film, given Ken Adam and Gert Frobe."

Not to mention Desmond Llewelyan ("Q") in a small part.

3. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Cool beans. I'm looking forward to this one. It's one of those that I remember from my youth. I always feel a little bit more affection for films that sparked my imagination as a child.

4. Ken Ranke

Ken Ranke Agent

"It does look like a children's James Bond film"

Well the story was written by Ian Flemming [​IMG]

5. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

6. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    This sounds great! Can you tell us what equipment you used to view this on. I'm super-excited about this. I got the soundtrack when I was 18, love it. The last time I watched the VHS tape was about 4 years ago, so this will be a treat, for sure! I am so glad they are finally giving us a widescreen transfer. Did you say the Pan & Scan transfer has not been restored? That's strange, as they usually just do one restore, and then re-do the Pan & Scan from that. If so, it would make people appreciate the difference, after seeing the picture quality of both. I hope this sells loads for MGM.

7. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Cool beans indeed.
    In fact....
    TRULY SCRUMPTIOUS
    and POSH! and "Lollipops and ice cream...All free today.......come
    this way, kiddie-winkies!".

The Childcatcher was much scarier to me than the
    witch in Wizard of Oz.

The laser release was a bit "brown",
    but the sound was excellent...
    I love the opening of the film with
    the race car sounds zooming all around
    the speakers.

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Release Date???

9. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
  10. BruceKimmel

I think the release date is November. Watched it on a 56" Mitsubishi widescreen TV via a top of the line JVC all-region player.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Ok

you all have NO IDEA how excited I am about this DVD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is one of those top movie memories from my childhood that has stood the test of time (along with willy wonka, Mary Poppins, Cinderella...)

About 10 years back I was mourning the fact that the great LP album soundtrack was not released on CD. I wrote a letter to the studio that owned the rights to the music, and expressed how the music of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was among the best ever-composed children's music and deserved to be available for people to purchase to enjoy and to share with their kids (that's the short version...you guys know how wordy I can get [​IMG]).

In 1997 I received a phone call from a woman who explained that, in celebration of releasing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on CD (!), the studio was hosting an awards ceremony/dinner in honor of the surviving Sherman Brother who would be attending the event. She asked if she could give him a copy of the letter I had sent them extolling the value of this film score/soundtrack. I agreed (and got a bit teary!). [​IMG]

After years of side-changes on my blury laserdisc I can't wait to watch this 16x9 DVD in all its 5.1 glory. THANK YOU MGM!!!

12. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

13. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

14. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

Who puts out Dual side, dual layer disks anymore? Have there been any since T2 and The Stand?

I suppose it could be a DVD-14, but do we really think MGM would have done this to allocate more bitrate to the widescreen side, given their evident P&S tendencies on (non-horror) catalog titles?

15. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

Can't wait to get this one. Taped it when it was on TCM recently, but it is already getting worn. The kids love it.

Bruce, just curious, how did you get a copy so soon? Also, I heard that there was an extra about the car itself, is this true?

16. RudolphT

RudolphT Agent

Great. Can't wait!

17. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

MGM puts out lots of DVD-14s, so it's quite likely.

And DVD-18s are still in use. Look at the ER and Battlestar Galactica sets.

18. BruceKimmel

I have a used store near me that seems to get early copies of MGM/UA titles and also Columbia titles (I just got Micki and Maude and Marooned as well).

No compression artifacts that I could see.

And what's this about a "surving Sherman Brother"? Both Shermans are alive, although Robert is not in good shape. Richard, who I know quite well, is amazingly healthy and full of vim and vigor.

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    A real shame that nobody sought to interview
    the original kids for the documentary.

You would think as important a Special Edition
    this is, the documentary could have been better.

20. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor