What's new

chit chat is epidemic on sirius (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I hate the way I seem to use the HTF as my sounding board for every little thing that bugs me, but here I am in the office and we're listening (this week) to Sirius "The Vault," which is supposed to be "deeper rock tracks" (even tho, it's sort of lame to be honest... I think they just played "The Devil Went Down To Georgia"... Siriusly!), but I am banging my head against my desk at how much TALKING these DJs are doing.

Why don't they just shut up and play music? Why do they have to tell me silly little stories about themselves? Why do they have to pass along fake news and rumors about the stars lives? Why do they have to -- weirdest thing -- promote OTHER SIRIUS CHANNELS? I'm listening TO YOU, why tell me to go listen to some other channel? This goes beyond the real DJ chatter that I remember as a kid. This is annoying, tedious, time consuming, drawn out nothingness.

Does anyone else feel this way? Are they chit chatting like this over on XM? Why am I hearing "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" on "The Vault"? (Was it just so this annoying DJ can tell her long-story-long about how when she was a kid she thought it was nifty that they curse in the song?)

Am I the only person who is emailing the DJs and asking them to play more music and stop chit chatting? Maybe I need a hobby. Or, maybe I just need to put on a CD instead.

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

MC

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Micah,

Complaints about DJ chatter on Sirius have
always been an issue.

There is far more chatter on Sirius than
there is on XM. The chatter fits in with
the "FM" mentality of their programming. It
seems the service has always wanted to sound
more like FM radio than satellite.

XM has DJ chatter too, but it is far less
and inbetween. When there is chatter on XM
it usually has something to do with promoting
another channel or announce an artist's
concert appearance.

The only exception to the above that I have
noticed is XM's '60s Decade where they
purposely place loud DJs to give that channel
its authentic sound.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I apologize for being such a complainer, by the way, Ron.

I just sometimes feel I have no one else to turn to, who'll understand me. [sob, sniffle] :b

I wish we had XM in here...

MC

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Micah,

A complainer? Never!

If we didn't want people to express
their frustrations concerning a
particular product/vendor we
would have never created this forum
in the first place.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
And I love it. The forum, I mean.

To paraphrase Woody Allen, "I more than love it; I LURVE it!"

Thanks Ron. I'm closing my office door and putting on a CD now. Darned chit chat.

MC

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Wow, I was looking into getting Sirius (my current car stereo can receive it) and went to sirius website to take the free trial.

Why would people pay money for this crap???????

Constant talking, lack of stations (maybe the trial does not give them all?)

bad fades between songs (right on top of each other, no pause between)

I pay by device?? So I activate my car stereo and then go get a portable unit also, I would have to pay extra for that??

What a joke.

I can only see this good if yoiu like the real oldies stuff...

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a little bit of to each there own.. the banter is the prime reason why I tune into some channels (like Shade45) the music isn't always to my liking, but the banter gets me.

*shrug* then again, most of my listening is to talk radio.. I can't think of the last time that I listened to much else.

I've become a fan of the idea of SIRIUS adding in a -top 8 at 8- kind of thing, ala Radio Disney, for certain channels that just plays the top 8 songs in the US in that format. That way, I would have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting :) Maybe not for decades, but definitely for hits, modern country, rap, etc.

Anyway, I think there is a good deal of content on both services that drive them. I will be honest and say easy access to CNBC, FoxNews, ESPN and PRI are big advantages for me; access to football on Sundays which is my drive day, etc. :)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I really enjoy the DJ chatter on XM's Sixties channel, but I appreciate the lack of chatter on the other channels.

And when it does occur, on the classical services or on Jonathan Schwartz's excellent Sunday Show on Frank's Place, it reminds me of the best of NPR.

I can't speak to Sirius at all because I've never heard it. However, this thread has made me realize that XM has done a rather good job of forging a personality for satellite radio and has assembled a solid team of producers.

Oh yeah, and my new SkyFi2 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob,

In my opinion, Sirius is totally
unlistenable when it comes to music.
More than ever they are putting their
channels on a seeming "loop" that plays
the same songs over and over again. This
problem extends beyond the decades channels
into such channels as The Groove,
Broadway's Best
and even Raw Dog
that plays the same comedy material.

I am knee-deep into satellite radio. I read
many of the boards and usenet groups daily.
Here is a post I discovered this morning....

Now mind you, there are many individuals that
love the repetition on Sirius. To be fair,
people do post positive comments about Sirius'
shallow playlists. They enjoy the fact that
whenever they get in their car they hear a
familiar song. If that's your forte then
Sirius is absolutely for you.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that
when you turn on XM radio, as you just mentioned,
you get the feeling that there is a lot of
creativity going into its music programming.

When XM went on the air their philosophy was to
break away from the FM mold. They instructed
their on-air talent to be "different" and to
bring a unique approach to their music programming.
That philosophy is still in place today and
works best for those of us that keep our radios
turned on all day.

martyTeboe

Grip
I've been with Sirius for about 3 months now, and I really like it. I've not heard XM, but those that I've talked to who do subscribe to XM say similar things about the music programming. They seem pleased with the variety and content.
I have to say that the reason I chose Sirius over XM is because Howard is coming. However, I'd keep it even if he never came. I love the portability, content, ease of use, and the quality of sound when transfered to any number of processors (A/V receiver, Car Stereo, my Tivoli radio).
Plus, some of the political talk programming appeals to me.
I'd like to hear XM, though, just to compare. Do they offer the free online listen like Sirius does?
Also, what is the talk content like? Do they have the Left/Center/Right choices? Is NPR part of the lineup?

Thanks,

marty

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Marty,

XM has America Right and America Left.

What they lack is NPR.

I would suggest this to you....

You are happy with the talk aspect of Sirius.

I don't know how much you are into music and how
important it is to you. If you aren't noticing
the constant music repetition with that service,
then don't go anywhere.

On the other hand, if you ever feel there's something
lacking in Sirius music I think you'll find XM to
be a huge breath of fresh air.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dennis,

Now that's an odd statement.

With nearly 100 different music channels to choose
from (including many modern channels) how can you
accuse any of the services of being just about the
oldies?

If Sirius did not seem to be your attraction, you
can get an inexpensive aftermarket kit that will turn
any Sirius car radio into an XM unit.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
And from the SIRIUS side:

I tried both, and admittedly, I seldom listen to the music stations. When I do, I pretty much want to hear just hits, which I know (otherwise, I'll just pop up the Ipod)

Anyway, what XM really does lack is talk and news.

Here's what you've got (just going through their channel line ups)

SIRIUS

Our Time (Women)
Wisdom (self help)
Court TV
Discovery
ABC News/Talk (Switch hit)
Patriot (Right)
SIRIUS Right (Right)
SIRIUS Left (Left)
Air America (Left)
Out Q (Gay/Lesbian)
Talk Central (middle)
NPR Now
NPR Talk
PRI
Hispanic Talk
The Word (Southern Baptist/African American Religious)
EWTN (Religious/Catholic)
Maxim (Superbowl Sunday)

XM:

ABC News/Talk
Discovery
??Ask?? (that's the name of the channel) Self Help
America Right (Right)
America Left (now basically Air America)
The Power (African American Talk)
FamilyTalk (Religious)
Playboy (premium)
Opie & Andy (premium)

XM's talk offerings, (IMHO) are really on the "blah" side.

If you're after political talk and/or news talk shows, SIRIUS is an easy choice.. which is a big part of why I stick there.

Car Talk, Talk of the Nation, Fresh Air, CourtTV.. I really disliked it when SIRIUS dropped A&E though.. still one channel I really miss :frowning: But besides that, tons of talk about almost anything.. :)

martyTeboe

Grip
I appreciate the response, Ron.

I am into music a great deal. Aside from a personal passion as a listener, I'm also a player. I've played guitar for over 25 years. The type of music I really dig doesn't show up much on Sirius, unless it's the Planet Jazz channel, and only sporadically there. Tell me, does XM have a dedicated "Progressive Rock" channel? ( I suppose I could just go to their website...)

Honestly, Howard is the real reason I bought in to Sirius. I was simply waiting for his choice of where he was going to make my decision. Had he signed w/XM, I'd be there today.

Based on your recommendation, I'll take a look at what they offer. I will say this, however...the reception in my apartment is not great. My windows fact SSW and WSW, rather than the E or N directions most highly recommended. That's a problem. If XM were to offer better reception in my home, I'd buy a home receiver, and have both services. I can honestly say that the home receivers for XM are much more aesthetically appealing than are the similar models for Sirius.

mt

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

Now I only have the free trial streaming via the web to make any of my judgements, but for the music I listen to, metal, hard rock, there was not much selection, but if you want 60's 70's 80's 90's you have a whole slew of options...

I'm sure there current hit and hip hop staions play current stuff though..

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Shade45 on SIRIUS, as run by Eminem, and handled by their label is -very- current, and often breaks releases about a week in advance of OTA radio play. For those that hate banter, the station is full of banter.. then again, I tune in to their station mostly -for- the banter, so can't say I find it a negative ;)

But very current. The others are either old by design (Old School/Hip Hop Classics) but Shade45 does a pretty good job (IMHO)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks