Chipmunk problems

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Perry, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Ever since I had a paver brick patio with seat walls built in my backyard, I've had problems with chipmunks. Apparently chipmunks are attracted to rock walls (I wish I had known that before buidling them!). They have actually dug a tunnel under the brick steps next to my back door, which I discovered when some of the bricks collapsed. I think one may have even been in my attic the other day.

Has anyone had luck trapping them? I accidentally caught one in a plastic gutter extension and then transported it a few miles away. A few days later I noticed another one, so I'm not sure if it found its way back or if I've got an infestation. I'd rather not use poison (young kids in the house). The thing that worries me about traps is possibly attracting more of them by putting peanut butter or whatever in the traps.

Thanks!

2. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

You can purchase live traps for just about any sized animal at your local feed store. I have one for catching squirrels.

You can use sunflower seeds if you don't want the aroma of peanut butter wafting through the neighborhood.

Live traps won't hurt the chipmunks & you can safely transport them to the boondocks.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    So, it's the chipmunk exchange, kind of like a Chimunk Relocation Program? the neighbor 5 miles downstreet from you will transport their chipmunks to your abode while you bring your chipmunks to their house. Is there any hiding of identities?

My father is having chipmunk problems too, I'll inform him of the CRP. Thanks,

Jay

4. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

I have a friend named Donald that is always fighting with the chipmunks. They're always storing their nuts in places where he doesn't want them stored. [​IMG]

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Why would you want to get rid of chipmunks for?

I can understand pigeons or mice... especially if they were invading your home, but chipminks??

If I were you I'd just buy a bag of peanuts and toss them out into your backyard and enjoy nature.

6. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Someone said the following for squirrels but I think it applies to chipmunks too:

Chipmunks are just rats with a great PR manager.

7. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

You could get a cat [​IMG]

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Alvin!!!

9. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Chipmunks are just rats with stripes. I use 2 methods: mouse/rat traps with peanut butter, and my pellet rifle.
    When I first put out a couple traps, I got about 12 the first week. I've got holes all over my lawn from those damn things. Transporting them a few miles away, that's hilarious!!!!

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Real nice. [​IMG]

11. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Chipmunks are the cutest little critters in the world. The only ones I have ever seen in Georgia were living on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens.

Mice pissing in my HT gear obviously have to go, but I'd have to keep the chipmunks around for the cute factor.

12. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    chipmunks are cute but they too can be little "pissing' machines. Not to mention eating holes in property, through electrical lines, etc etc.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've never heard of chipmunks eating holes in property or electrical lines before?

I have a family of chipmunks that burrowed holes in my front yard in the country. Theyre friendly and come up onto the porch every morning and will eat nuts right out of my hand. Its fun to watch them scurry around. I cant imagine them ever doing any property damage though. Even in wintertime, from my observations they're usually pretty content keeping to themselves and their own environment. I've never had my home nor heard of any similar experiences of people who've had theirs invaded by chipmunks...

I don't think chipmunks would even want to live indoors between floorboards and in attics. They're not mice.

14. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Had a field mouse in our minivan - caused 500.00 in electrical re-work (shorted out the rear A/C control). I tried the "humane" traps for 24 hrs, then went for the glue trap. I hope I am forgiven at some point...

We live in a heavily wooded lot, not sure why we don't have Chipmunks. Had to trap a squirrel that was living in our attic and I didn't drop off far away, so he found his way back... man, talk about a freaked out rodent when he couldn't get back in ! Scared the p-ss out of my wife and daughter !

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Napalm, son....nothing else in the world smells like that.

16. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Aaron...a cat does wonders. You save money on cat food, too. [​IMG]

Thos.

17. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    As long as you don't mind the "trophies" left on your doorstep in the morning. Cats do seem to like to show off their "handiwork." [​IMG]

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I know a couple of people that had chipmunks eating through their outside television cable.

Crawdaddy

19. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob