Chinese programming & DishNetwork

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I just read this at dbsforums.com:
    http://www.kbs-tv.com/test/dev/china_main.shtml
    It says these are available on the:
    61.5 and 148 orbitals, however as far as I know, my Dish 500 satellite is only set to receive stuff from 110W and 119W, do I need go get another dish or something?
    My parents might be interested in the package although they speak only Cantonese and can understand a bit of Mandarin the "ATV" channel, I think we saw a bunch of that when we were in China earlier last year. Nothing like Chinese Kung Fu soap operas!
    Jay

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You need an 18" dish with a dual LNB and some type of switch. The type of switch depends on your Dish500 and it's switch.
    1)Dish500 with a Twin LNB = SW21 switch per receiver
    2)Dish500 with two dual LNB's and SW21 switches = SW44 or SW42 (discontinued) switch
    3)Dish500 with two dual LNB's and an SW44 switch = SW21 switch per receiver
    4)Dish500 with two dual LNB's and an SW64 switch = unlikely you this setup but this switch handles three satellite postions.
    Dish's setups are very flexible (and confusing). If you have any more questions, just reply. Here's a diagram of #1 *.
    -Robert

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, since this was a pro installation, I know I have a Dish 500, though from your PDF doc, it looks like mine is a 20" as the LNB is the fat kind, like it has two "pickups" or whatever the technical term for them are. I'll have to check my receipt to see what kind of switch I have, but it seems like in addition to the programming fee, I would have to pay for another Dish 500 (18") to get 61.5 and then a switch for every receiver that I have (a 501 and a 301). Wow, seems like a real expensive addition!

Jay

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert