What's new

Chinese Lord of the Rings - too funny!!! (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hey everyone, I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere and I missed it, but I thought this was just too hilarious!

This page has some scans from Malaysia's The Star newspaper of an article published on Feb. 9 about which Hong Kong actors and actresses could fill the roles of the Lord of the Rings. It's great!

Chinese Lord of the Rings

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Actually, if I were to hear of that cast in a LOTR movie, or any movie for that matter, I'd be there in a heartbeat. That's a good cast.

Jason GT

Second Unit
To John Spencer:

Have a look at "Hero". Should be out soon on R0 DVD, and has a pretty impressive cast:

Leung Chiu Wai, Cheung Man Yuk, Zhang Zi Yi, Jet Li.

To Steven Lay:

Have a look at "2046". WKW, Cheung Man Yuk, Leung Chiu Wai, Wong Faye, Zhang Ziyi.

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Now the message on the forum is no more. First the bootleg DVD English translation site is taken offline, and now this...

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Oh, don't worry, Jason! I am an avid fan of Asian cinema, and I'm dying to see both Hero and 2046 as soon as I can!

Jason GT

Second Unit
Coolness :D

One thing: do you know what significance "2046" has? It was in ITMFL, and is obviously a title for a WKW movie. I can't think of a "Chinese" reason for this series of numbers.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, the movie is in the year 2046, 50 years after Hong Kong was given to the Chinese. As far as it's relation to ITMFL (the room number where Maggie Cheung's character met with Tony Leung's), all I can remember is that it's supposedly some sort of futuristic version of that setting.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
How does a movie suck if you didn't even stick around to see it?:D

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
I believed the chinese government promised 50 years of unchanged policies, so on 2046, 50 years are up, and all hells break loose!???

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
So..it is true that "50 years after Hong Kong was given to the Chinese". Just wanted to clear that up. ;)

It's just that China has to wait the 50 years to enforce their will onto HK. That must be a weird situation.

Anyhow, back to the movie, I've heard conflicting rumors; that it's about HK 50 years after being handed over to the Chinese and I've heard that idea was scrapped in favor of a more generic "futuristic HK with humans and robots co-existing together". Wong-Kar-Wai seems to be rewriting the script as it's shot. WKW made it mandatory for the main cast to receive training in Chinese martial arts, dance and yoga.. :emoji_thumbsup:

Here's some spy shots on set...

Zhang Ziyi

Leung Chiu-wai

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks