What's new

Chinatown & The Two Jakes R1 SCEs coming November (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
With Days of Heaven getting licensed to Criterion, I thought other Paramount titles had a good chance... I guess Paramount didn't think a Days of Heaven re-release would sell well.

However, where's the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray announcement? Why not release in HD at the same time as DVD?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
What would have made this set bette is if Paramount would have gotten Nicholson and Polanski to do commentary tracks for their films, odd also that Nicholson hasnt directed anythings since the two jakes. aside from that i whish that they would have had the good sense to use the original poster artwork for both as opposed to the photoshop that we are getting

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Special editions are long overdue and most welcome. Particularly CHINATOWN, one of the best and most important films ever made. It's a monument of a film.

The cover art is less than inspired. Putting the stars in a picture frame tells buyers this is an OLD movie that your grandparents might like. The kids running promotion at Paramount these days are just plain dumb.

Are these remastered or the same prints as before in a new package?

Why not include some of the videotaped seminars conducted by the AFI as supplements? Writer Robert Towne, designer Richard Sylbert, dp Stanley Cortez and his replacement dp John Alonzo, producer Robert Evans, the actors, and Roman Polanski all talked about CHINATOWN in front of the classes at the AFI. The transcripts fill a thick file and the videotapes are archived there. There is much to learn and enjoy in these informative seminars taught by the some of the greatest film makers.

Then there is the promotional art. In 1974 CHINATOWN had one of the most brilliant promotional campaigns I'd ever seen. There's a fine supplement in how this film was promoted. The original poster should be the cover art.

An achievement like CHINATOWN deserves nothing less than the same treatment afforded CASABLANCA or TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. Commentaries and supplements on a second disc.

I could write a book about this movie.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
How about a HD or BD release of CHINATOWN? Common Paramount get with it? Your Hi Def titles have been lacking.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Actually, if they're going to replace the original artwork with "stars heads," they could have done a heck of a lot worse. I think the new cover art is OK (although I'd still prefer the vintage stuff).

Hopefully they'll announce more extra features (or that the handful of featurettes add up to something really substantive).

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

I agree. While I definitely prefer the theatrical poster, they did a very good job of keeping the intergrity of the original while doing the "floating heads" thing. It took me a bit to notice that it wasn't the original artwork, since they style felt the same.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I've definitely seen worse as far as cover art goes, although I too, would have preferred original poster art.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I hate Paramount, they are clearly utterly clueless when it comes to releasing anything other than teen comedies. This long overdue Special Edition looks less than inspired and the cover art is hideous. Talk about a disappointment... I just hope the new transfer fares better than everything else.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
You'd think they'd include something on the aborted earlier version of the sequel with Robert Evans and Kelly McGillis- footage, photos. Probably we'll only get a brief mention of it in the featurette mentioned in the ne package of The Two Jakes.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum, LOL finally got to use that ,anyhow i went to look at dvdtimes again, and wouldn't you know it look at what region two is getting released by paramount,

Paramount Originals DVD Collection which saw the UK Region 2 DVD re-release of 17 classics from their archives. Priced at £9.99 each these DVD releases contain a free A3 original cinema poster for each film boasting some of the coolest and most iconic retro film artwork from cinema’s history. funny that they can do that there but not in the US???

the Box art is beautiful, and a free classic poster, wonder why they have not tried that here yet, so far the only ones making that a possibility is WB with is UCE's

Also i agree that Chinatown needs to be a two disc set, love the idea of using all of the AFI material.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

"these DVD releases contain a free A3 original cinema poster for each film boasting some of the coolest and most iconic retro film artwork from cinema’s history."

What's an A3 poster? Does A3 refer to the size of the poster?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks