What's new

Chinatown SE? (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
In every way. The present DVD was pressed at the outset of the digital technology and the SE is sourced from the same master. It's not up to specs. I would like to see Paramount go back to the elements and start over. Chinatown is immaculate film making. The quality of the image is not present on the DVD.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Certainly the SE is a marginal improvement. but I assure you it can be better. Much better.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

That Paramount went back to the same old elements for the initial DVD would be very disappointing and surprising if true.

Do you know that as fact or opinion.?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's dispense with the personal comments towards other members and focus our posts on the discussion at hand.

Crawdaddy

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I will slightly rephrase my original (now deleted) comments and say I do not believe Richard's argument holds water. The new S.E. is a revelation over the original DVD; perhaps it's still not up to Richard's snuff (that's, of course, subjective), but no way is it from the same elements.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I watched the new SE and I was blown away by the transfer. Perhaps my favourite film of all time.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
My mistake.
I don't have the new 2007 release.
I have the 1999 release, and I bought the 2006 re-issue with different cover art, which I mistook for the 2007 release on the basis of the cover.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Travis Brashear ... The 2006 re-issue looks like the same transfer as the 1999 to me. It also has the same cover art as the 2007, which is what made me think I bought the 2007.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
See post below - this post was the same but I'd gone to edit it and gotten an invalid link or something or other and then it disappeared, then after I posted the second time, it was back. Weird.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
That was weird - I made a post (only my second, so maybe I don't understand how to do things yet) and it showed up, then I went to edit it and I got an invalid link or something and now the post is gone.

To the poster above - I don't think the 2006 re-issue was being discussed - that clearly was the same transfer as 1999, but it isn't what people were talking about - but I guess you thought you'd gotten the new one when you hadn't. The new one is well worth getting.

Can anyone tell me what happened before that caused the post to disappear? Thanks.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Ah, fair enough--makes sense now! If the rest of this thread wasn't encouragement enough, then, let me entreat you to pick up the 2007 remaster a.s.a.p.!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The new interviews are pretty good. Would love a commentary track by Roman, though. Faye's absence is duly noted. Does she even do interviews? This is, perhaps, her best work.

The transfer is amazing, it looks like it was shot yesterday -- it's that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks