What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
No - I still think only 4 volumes are planned..
http://www.wellesnet.com/simon-callow-talks-about-orson-welles-volume-3-one-man-band/

As the third one, 'One man band' covers 'Chimes' - I suggest people don't hold off waiting for all 4 to be available. Volumes 1 (including Citizen Kane) and 3 are the most readable....
A great link. I suggest that others read the Callow interview graciously supplied by KeithDA.
If 3-4 volumes of Welles by Callow didn't yet whet one's appetite, then this interview will close the deal for any and all.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Recently the The Saltzman Estate has completed their version of a 6K restoration of Chimes at Midnight and is beginning to show it at selected screenings around the country. Here is the latest trailer for the project:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Random thought: is it just me, or does Keith Baxter bear a passing resemblance to Colin Farrell in the pic above?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Website Wellesnet has a post that "a UHD package is in the works, but Criterion is not involved". I guess we shall see what the movie will look like on a 4K release but have to say i was not that impressed with the recent UHD release of The Trial.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
You’re right about The Trial. It looks terrible - black crush VERY variable compression, uneven bitrate, terrible dynamic range which might be made worse by bad application of DV, and poor grain management. It’s appalling.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
You’re right about The Trial. It looks terrible - black crush VERY variable compression, uneven bitrate, terrible dynamic range which might be made worse by bad application of DV, and poor grain management. It’s appalling.
The 4K disc looked to me as dull looking and prefer the older 2012 UK Blu-ray release. Sometimes a 4K release does not make a better looking image but i hope that might happen with Chimes at Midnight.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
i believe Janus is a stakeholder in the restoration. If so it would be a possible Criterion. But Canal has the mini-Euro rights. And I believe it’s Canal who were responsible for the FUBARed UHD didc envode. The DCP might tell another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks