What's new

"Child's Play" Re-Release. Do you think it will happen?? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
A couple of weeks back, I readon DVDFILE.com that Universal was releasing "The Chucky Collection" which will contain "Child's Play 2", "Chidl's Play 3" and "Bride Of Chucky".

For those who don't know, the rights for the original "Child's Play" belong to MGM, thus explains why it's not part of the set.

The DVD version of the movie that IS available happens to be full-screen, while the remaining sequels in the upcoming set are in widescreen.

Now, what I'm wondering is whether MGM will take their cue from Universal and re-release the original in widescreen format. I know they're not obligated to, considering that releasing a WS version of the movie may drive sales for the Universal set allowing people to own all 4 films in widescreen. But for the sake of argument, I can't help but wonder if they'd do it.

I've been wanting "Child's Play" on DVD for quite some time now, but have refused to buy it because it is full-screen. Any thoughts or opinions on this??

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I don't know.
It would be nice, but didn't(and I could sware I remember this) that MGM stated that a 16x9 Child's PLay was impossible to do, and the only way was P&S

Christopher Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I think it could be possible at some point- I wouldn't doubt them double dipping it much like The Howling to come out with a Special Edition in a couple of years (even though The Howling was basically a year apart from the SE)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The print in MGM's Region 1 hands was destroyed, so they used full-frame. It's however, available in other regions in widescreen. I'm sure MGM would be able to aquire a print from somewhere else, it'll just take time. I'm sure it'll make them some money.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I would sure hope so...

I would be very happy if this was to be released as a special edition... The edition out now is 4 years old, so hopefully we will see a new edition soon...

I really like this movie... I remember watching it on video when it came out and have probably seen it 10 times since...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks