Children of Dune

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sam Davatchi, May 14, 2003.

1. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m watching this mini-series on DVD right now. I’m on part 1 but there is something that is annoying me. I want to know if others notice this also. I think I’m seeing a lip-sync problem with the transfer!

2. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Is this worth buying blind?

How is the mini-series compared to the original (which I bought blind, and rather enjoyed)?

How's the DVD quality? Should we expect an SE in the near future?

I hope they're isn't a lip synch problem. What player are you using?

3. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

it doesn't have lip-synch issues.

the sound is good.

the pic is ok.

the score is BLOODY great!

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

There will definately be a SE version.

5. Lars_J

Lars_J Stunt Coordinator

Matt_P, If you liked the first mini-series, I personally think it is worth a blind purchase. IMO it was a massive improvement over the first mini-series in practically every way - especially acting, F/X, and the awesome score. It plays a little looser with the source material, but that it ispartly to be expected since it covers two Dune books.

Just be advised that an SE is most likely coming out in a year or so. I'll get it anyway.

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Will it be a director's cut or just more features?

Is the PQ bad like the first Artisan release? Crammed onto two discs?

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Everything I know about the upcoming Special Edition of this title can be found here.

8. Scott Shearer

Scott Shearer Auditioning

9. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Scott, there is indeed a lip-sync problem at least on part 1 and now I’m convinced because I tried it on different players. I’m very sensitive to lip-sync problems and see them immediately. The people who say it has no lip-sync problem have not noticed it yet. I can understand how some may not notice it, but it’s there.

10. Tim Mauldin

Tim Mauldin Stunt Coordinator

I watched this for the first time over the weekend. I enjoyed it and thought it was better than the original. Of course Children of Dune dosen't have a theatrical version to compare it to, like the original mini-series did.

I do wish they would have shown . . .

Leto as a fully developed worm

11. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

tim, your spoiler wasn't in the book at that point, so im glad they left it out

it would be nice if they did the later books though, especially god empeoror, that would be interesting

i read rumors somewhere that they are thinking of doing a tv show pretty much based on the butlerian jihad stuff i believe, and then read somewhere else where herberts son was gonna write a 7th book in the actual dune series that isn't a prequel.

12. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Yeah- He plans to write a trilogy after he finishes the last two Butlerian Jihad books- I think the first Butlerian Jihad book is his best yet.

13. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

[Possible spoiler?]

I didn't see CoD when it aired on Sci-Fi (don't get that on our basic cable), so was pleased to get the bare-bones edition on DVD. Generally pleased with the results, though combining two books may not have been the smartest move (aside from saving money on separate projects that may never have been made individually).

Biggest disappointment: Leto's body armor and just how important his decision was to assume that form. I don't think CoD came anywhere close to explaining the symbiotic nature of the armor -- Leto suddenly has super powers?!? And special-effects budget aside, what they ended up with looked more like a fungus than the living armor described in the book. The worm-capture sequence was great, but certainly not as much of an essential element as Leto's armor and how it affects him.

I also thought, as long as they were combining two books, that they could have forshadowed Leto's ultimate state as a result of his merging. It certainly would have underscored that this was indeed a major sacrifice and not just an event.

Still, it is great to see Dune captured on film by folks who obviously love the source material as much as the fans.

14. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

back to the lip synch issue. im about thru the 1st episode, and the only synch probs i saw was whenever chani spoke, it seems like her lips never match up. so i wonder if its more of an issue of just bad redub. everyone else seems to be fine.