1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Children of Dune 5/20

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Naglieri, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I have no problems with Lynch's adaptation. In fact, I liked the movie so much, it led me to actually read the books [​IMG]

Looking forward to Children of Dune. It will be interesting to see, I never thought that the later Dune books would be easily translated to film.

2. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

3. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I loved the Dune Directors Cut 3-disc set, more more true to the book and such. I'd still like to see a HUGE production of maybe 2-3 films. That would be nice.

I will likely pick this up, since it looks like the same cast and such.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

5. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

Tom
    I've bought all three Dune's that came out. I sold the middle one being the first release of the Sci-Fi version.

Half.com is my friend for those DVDs that are upgraded. There are people out there that don't care as much as we do [​IMG]

I've sold a TON of DVDs on half.com for a reasonable price making my original purchase not that bad.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

7. DavidAC

DavidAC Stunt Coordinator

I don't think I can wait for a DC, I actually did with Sci-Fi's Dune after I heard they screwed the release big time but this time I'll probably go ahead and pick up COD.

8. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

I hope Artisan gets it right the first time with Children of Dune. It did take them 2 releases for Dune and 3 releases for Stargate, so you never know.

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

At $15 from DeepDiscount, I'm inclined to pick this up. I do wonder if we'll see a directors cut later. Has anyone heard or seen an interview with Harrison where he indicated whether the televised version is the final version or not?

10. AndrewA

AndrewA Stunt Coordinator

I'll wait for the Director's Cut as well is it's announced. Saw the first episode last night and was completely blown away by their adaptation. Mind you not as complete as the first mini-series, but enough of the second book to carry over from the original Dune. Can't wait for tonight's episode and the release of the DVD's.

11. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    I am not going to wait for some extended cut, that may
    never exist or was even ever planned.
    I remember the digital bits covering the
    fiasco of the first mini-series, and it seems like there
    was a lot of confusion and miss communication between
    the producers of the series and Artisan.

I doubt they've repeated that mistake and are getting
    it right the first time around.

Mark

12. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

I watched the first episode last night and I must say, it was damn good. I can't wait to get home to watch the second episode. The director that they got to helm the CoD project has done great job. Much better than original Dune series. CoD is presented in a much grander stage, looks like a miniseries produced for HBO, and doesn't have the budget cable feel of the original series. The dialog is much better acted in CoD as well. Seems that some of the casting changes and additions that they have made worked really well. I remember how in the original series, Paul, played by Alec Newman was so much better of a character actor than everyone else (or he was overacting, depending on your point of view), but now it seems that the entire cast is up to speed. Good performances all around. And *ahem* the women are hot in CoD. Especially Alia [​IMG].

But back to the subject. This is Artisan "Milkman" Studios we are talking about after all. There will DEFINITELY be a 3 disc DC after this barebones release. I am willing to put money on it. In the meantime, I am dusting off the VCR as I don't have a Tivo yet [​IMG].

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I really enjoyed the first night too. It's been a long time since I had read Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, and I'd have to say that all the major points that I remembered were present last night. I'm really looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

Also, just because John Harrison didn't direct this one doesn't mean he wasn't involved. He wrote the script (as he did for the Dune mini-series) and was a producer. From what I saw in an interview, he was heavily involved in the project, just not day-to-day on set because of previous commitments, the same commitments which forced him to give up the director's chair for this mini-series.

But personally I enjoyed the theatrical style in the first mini-series and I like how it contrasts the style in this one.

And yes, Alia is hot. [​IMG]

14. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't knocking John Harrison. I am just saying that CoD is, so far, better than the original series. Which is a compliment to the director. I had my misgivings after hearing CoD would be helmed by a new director. Thankfully, everything came into place. Actually, thank god for John Harrison, there would be no CoD without him.

Alia is hot! http://www.scifi.com/dune/gallery/ig_alia.html

15. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    OK, I guess I misinterpretted what you wrote.

I had my misgivings too, and I'm pleasantly surprised that my misgivings were unfounded. I'm sure alot of that has to do with Harrison's continued involvement on the project, but I'm not going to take any credit away from Greg Yaitanes.

I guess I mean there is an excellent balance between a difference in style and a feeling of continuity in the two mini-series.

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

If there is an extended version, it would most likely be an extended European cut, as in the first set. So if we find out that the European version is the same, there probably won't be a second version released on DVD.

-Dave

17. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S

18. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

19. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I didn't watch the original dune mini series but on a whim I picked up the 3 disc directors cut last summer and really enjoyed it. I haven't watched any of this one yet but I'll probably pick this up as I enjoyed the first mini series.
    Regarding Lynch's Dune, I think it was a case of style over substance. I'd not read the book but I viewed it after I watched the mini series and even then a few parts of it were confusing.
    Now if artisan would get Twin Peaks season 2 out already [​IMG]

20. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer