Child care: Should I use a neighbour?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micheal, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I'm moving into a new area and it turns out that my neighbour (2 doors down) is a very experienced child care provider. The location would be ideal but I'm quite the pessimist. What if... for some reason or another, things don't work out with her.

On the other hand, she seems really nice and has quite an experienced background.

Should I risk it?

Opinions wanted.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

As long as her references check out why not? It would sure be handy and some of the in home day care's are exceptional...my daughters in one and we couldn't ask for a better place for her.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Like Andrew said, with due diligence and good references I don't see why not. Might make your life a whole lot easier.

4. John_Stra

John_Stra Extra

I would ask what activities she does, are there any current problems, is there the ability to observe. What are her rules, what does she do when the child does something bad. What does she do when she is sick. Meet the other kids and call their parents.

-J

5. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Thanks guys! I plan on doing most of your suggestions, some I have already done. I guess I'm just worried that if we were to come to some sort of impasse (i.e. having my daughter leave her care) it might make things a little uncomfortable for all of us.

We would still have to see her just about everyday being such close neighbours.

Of course I'm probably just being too negative.

If all goes well we will probably go for it.

6. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

and ask how many other adults are in the home while your kid is there?

When she answers... "Well, my sisters boyfriend comes over to fix this or that every other day and he really likes the kids. He likes to have them help fix things in the back room."

Run, dont walk, as far away as possible.

Im not trying to be funny (well a little) but this was one of the questions I asked when looking for daycare for my son. And you would be suprised what answers you will get.

As far as close to home that would be great. It sure would make my life that much easier. I thnik choosing daycare is probably one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

7. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Ditto![​IMG]