What's new

Chicken Run stops playing. Bad disc or bad movie? (1 Viewer)

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Player: Pioneer DV-525. Never had any problems playing any movie up until recently (Monsters, Inc.):

Chicken Run plays fine in both DTS and DD up to around the 62nd minute (4 minutes into chapter 17). Then the video goes into a still frame and updates the still frame about every 15 seconds, often with garbage or pixelated pics. No audio. I can skip the chapter and the rest plays fine.

The problems don't always start at the same exact moment, though it occurs sometime between 60 and 62 minutes (in chapter 17). I couldn't find any discussion using the Search, because the Search on this forum is disabled.

It seems like a bad disc, but I want to make sure that it's not a troublesome movie (like Monsters, Inc.: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=monsters ).

No sense exchanging the disc if it's just a finicky movie.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmmm, very possible that laser has trouble reading the dual layer or at least these are the early signs to that problem. Start be cleaning the laser then see what happens. I had this problem on an earlier Toshiba and the laser had to be replaced (under warranty).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my copy works perfectly.

i suspect bad disc or just a bad combo.

i had a similar experience with my chasing amy dvd. it works perfectly in all my friends dvd players, but it always locks up in the same spot in mine.

DanFe

Second Unit
For anyone else having this problem, my Malata n996 said to clean the disc. My Sony 9000ES locked up and said c:13:00 error. I think in this case it's the disc. Possibly disc rot?

DanFe

Second Unit

Simon, did the disc lock up about the same spot like mine and the other person's did?

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
Have you examined the disc for damage? Remember that a RSDL disc plays outside-in to layer change and then inside-out Although this sound like dirt or a blemish towards the inner part of the disc and the player is trying to correct with redundancy.

Try the disc on another player. If it works on another player start taking notes on your player, if it doesn't then the disc is likely bad.

John

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
DanFe, no, I hadn't watched it for 18 months-ish and it wouldn't load at all on my Sony (c.13.00 error), or a Pioneer. This is about my fifth dead disc in 6 years and I assume it's delamination as the disc looks perfect.

DanFe

Second Unit
I did clean it and tried it a few times again, but the disc is dead. Other discs work just fine, like they always have, with these players, but Chicken Run is a frisbee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks