chicken or egg situation......A $3k question....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by shivesh_k, Aug 16, 2004.

1. shivesh_k

shivesh_k Auditioning

Jul 30, 2004
    My intro - an absolute newbie in HT arena.

My dilemma: -
    I'm a music enthusiast and need to invest in all in one receiver/speaker system that would satisfy my 85% music and 15% movie taste.
    Visiting the forums here I couldn't figure out should I know my speakers first and buy a matching a/v receiver or vice versa ? Swan, Axiom, Rockets, Polks - I guess not many folks outside these forums know that these have something in common [​IMG]
    I'll be placing the equipment in a 20 x 18 1/2 two storey cathedral family room.
    I have $3k to put down (I guess $700-800 on receiver and the rest on speaker system. Subwoofer is optional).
    Given this scenario what are y'll recommendations for the receiver and speaker systems. Any input is welcome.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    Choose your speakers first. Since some of the brands you listed (and get the sub for crying out loud!) aren't available in local stores you should make an effort to determine who in your area has them and see if they'll let you listen. People on this forum and also forums specific to the brands exist that facilitate this. In the meantime, check out your local stores.