CHICKEN LITTLE goes 3-D

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Steve Phillips, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The digital 3-D experiments begin in November....CHICKEN LITTLE to be released on minimum 100 3-D screens via digital projection.

www.worldenteractive.com/chicken.htm

NO red/blue glasses here.....we're talking polarized, clear type and/or active LCD glasses depending on the venue. The polarized glasses are less fragile but theatres would have to have a silver screen for projection, while the active LCD type can be used with any standard white screen.

In either case, full color clear 3-D...

This is the smart way to do this; POLAR EXPRESS proved that as the IMAX 3-D version made $45 million on just 60 screens! Of course the flat version will go out in general release, but as more and more digital projectors are phased in there will be more and more theatres that will be able to run quality 3-D, and it will be possible in a few years for a movie to get a wide release in (quality) again.

Robert Rodriguez should have gone this route with his recent 3-D film, i.e a wide flat 2-D release and limited release in full color digital 3-D. The anaglyph version is just plain hard on the eyes.

CHICKEN LITTLE will hopefully work as well as POLAR EXPRESS did in 3-D. Rumors are we'll see 3-D versions of Zemekis' MONSTER HOUSE and BEOWULF too, but I haven't seen any real confirmation of that.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

So, do you need two digital projectors, or does it manage it with one, changing the polarization of the lens 24 times a second?

I also don't necessarily see why you need ILM involved, if Disney kept all the data needed to render the movie; just re-render on the twos from two inches to the right (although, hey, that may be harder than it sounds). That seems to be what ILM's doing, according to the article; I just don't see why it needs to be contracted out, unless Disney's got the servers booked for Rapunzel or something.

I'll be interested to see it, although I wish I could see it on something better than digital projection.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

It is my understanding that one projector is all that is required.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Really? If it's alternating frames rapid enough to fool the eye, I'd think that would potentially be seizure-inducing if someone took their glasses off.

5. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Disney's big on outsourcing lately, might be why.

BB

6. Geremia P.

Geremia P. Stunt Coordinator

First Chicken Little is traditionally animated, then CGI and now 3-D. It sounds like a train-wreck in the making.