What's new

Chicken Little DVD (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Is the one out today the only DVD edition coming out or was a 2 disc special edition announced? I can't remember if I read weather this movie was going to have a SE or not.

Thanks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
nope but there is a good making of feature on the current disc.
gives some good insight into the voice acting as you see the director actually directing the acors as opposed to seeing them just do the voice work alone.

also anyone who has seenthe dvd do you think it looked a little soft?

other then that in thought image quality was good.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
My furnace broke over the weekend and with all the chaos I wasn't able to get this reviewed by street date (today).

YES...the video is EXTREMELY SOFT especially on a big-screen. It almost looks "defective" to my eyes it's so soft..laserdisc like (though a clean picture free from noise). Either the techies responsible for mastering are complete idiots *or* this is an intentionally dumbed-down image to make the forthcoming HD version look "sharper" in a/b comparison.

If you guys don't mind a late review let me know...the heat was finally restored last night!

dave :)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Although your comment on the softness of the image makes me glad that I skipped this one Tuesday, I'd be interested in a full review, too.

derek

Second Unit
The image definitely looked soft with my 7" CRT on a 80" wide screen. Though it was also upscaled to 1080i. Fun movie (rental IMHO) with some laugh out loud scenes. Audio seemed a bit tame in the surrounds but bass good.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching this and OH MY GOD was the quality lousy!

As was mentioned, I don't know if was intended to be soft or not, but even if it was, the quality was extremely distracting.

At first I had to check my TV settings, because it almost looked like it wasn't anamorphic....like when the tv zooms into a letterboxed presentation, but alas, it was anamorphic, just bad. :frowning:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Glad, you're not an ice cube. Your reviews are so awesome, I don't care if they're before or after streetdate or if I already own the title or not.

Andy_MT

Second Unit

i would strongly advise anyone to not watch HD if you're still buying DVDs. it becomes a very difficult proposition to lay down the cash for (some of) these "compromised" DVDs that studios are slopping out to us at the moment. this being one of them.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this is far beyond noticing the qulaity loss between HD and DVD. This DVD looks worse than some of my 1998 DVD's. BLECH! I hope someone was fired for this. In this day and age, there should be NO excuse for a piss-poor release of a 3D animated film...ESPECIALLY one that's under 90 minutes!!!! :angry:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Unforunately, there's no easy way to really transfer the Disney Digital 3D experience home... when I went in my theatre the movie is obviously running at an incredibly high framerate and also in field sequential 3D (IE: polarized glasses).

It would look way shitty in anaglyphic 3D.

Maybe HD-DVD or Blue Ray would be able to transfer the experience (even then, you'd probably need a projector/RPTV that could do ~60hz to get it to work)

Personally, I saw it twice in theatres, but more for the technology than the merits of the picture. Get me a field sequential version that'll run on my 720p projector and I'd be right in line for it though. You wouldn't even need special glasses, from my understanding of how the DD3D system works (high framerate, one projector)... but it certainly wouldn't work with NTSC.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Polarized 3-D and Field Sequential are not the same thing.

CHICKEN LITTLE was shown with passive polarized glasses and silver screens. The plastic framed glasses were purchased by the customer as part of the ticket price and people were free to take them home.

Field sequential uses active LCD glasses and can be shown on a standard white screen, and the glasses are the property of the theatre.

The digital systems can be adapted to allow either business model.

That said, while the movie looked cool in digital 3-D, I don't think I'd bother with a flat DVD, especially if it looks as bad as everyone says.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks