1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago remasters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tillman, Jul 19, 2002.

1. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Has anyone any experience with these yet? Rhino just released CTA, II & III and they seem to be a mixed bag from what I've read.

They always seemed like an AM radio thing to me, yet they have huge body of work, some of it is very good. I picked up the Very Best of Chicago (also a new release) which contains like 39 titles as I never had any Chicago LP's that I was looking to replace.

I found the first 13 tracks to be great:
    1. Make Me Smile
    2. 25 or 6 to 4
    3. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
    4. Beginnings
    5. Questions 67 and 68 (Lamm)
    6. I'm a Man
    7. Colour My World
    8. Free
    9. Lowdown
    10. Saturday in the Park
    11. Dialogue Pt. 1 and 2
    12. Just You 'N' Me
    13. Feelin' Stronger Every Day

I've never heard these songs sound better. So much clearer from all versions i've ever heard, I could pick out voices or instruments and focus on just them. Only complaint would be the soundstage never got set up like the SACD of say Blood Sweat & Tears where voices and instruments were placed across the front soundstage. The bulk of Chicago's music was stationary in the L/F channel probably because most of it was mono (I'm trying to confirm that).

I was disappointed from track 14 and on. The sound became hollow and lifeless like it got no-noised. Not all of it but a lot of it.

Overall, this is a nice compilation for me but I do hope they start doing DVD-A's of the albums. There is mucho great material here and it deserves the hi-rez treatment.

2. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

How does Make Me Smile sound compared to the previous mix? It's always been a little muddy sounding, but not too separated.

3. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

4. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

I'll pick up CTA and II this weekend. I'm not to keen that they edited out the percussion segments of I'm a Man and Beginnings on the Greatest Hits set. As I'm more familiar with the lp versions, all of those "single edits" and "new edits" are not the way I remember them....

Except for 25 or 6 to 4, and I understand the original single edit is included as a bonus track on II.

5. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

What I really want is for Chicago to meet AIX Records and do a live session for a new DVD-A, but more on that later...[​IMG]

6. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

No Terry Kath = hollow and lifeless. [​IMG]

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Cool. I will pick up CTA real soon. Funny how I recently was thinking how cool this would be in Hi Rez.

Thanks for the heads up!

Doug

8. Luke Pacholski

Luke Pacholski Auditioning

9. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

I must say that I am dissapointed that the "single version" of "25 or 6 to 4" on II is the stereo version edited to sound like the single. I owned that single many moons ago, prior to buying the album, and i always wondered why the single sounded so much better. Now it just sounds like the faulty stereo version, only shorter....

10. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I've been very happy with the remasters and the new GH's package.
    It's been great to hear Chicago playing on the stereo once again.

JohnG