Chicago (Is it a small city?)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DougWright, Jun 13, 2003.

1. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

I know it is not, but I am going to Chicago on business for a week and everything I want to do (for fun) is located within 5 miles of my hotel. [​IMG] Here I am lucky if there is anything to do within 5 miles...

I am planning on seeing baseball games at both parks and going to the Sears Tower and the Shedd Aquarium.
    Can anyone suggest anything else I should do while there, I am really looking forward to it.

I heard there was a theater there with a digital projection system, does anyone know the name off hand? The address would be great too if someone has it. I am there for 8 days and want to fit as much in as possible.

Thanks,

2. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Hi Doug, if you're planning on going to the Shedd Aquarium you might consider getting a City Pass - it's basically just a package of tickets for some of the major attractions - the aquarium, the field museum, the observatory, etc. It's a pretty good savings versus buying them all separately. I did it a couple of years ago and crammed in everything in two days, although I would recommend taking a bit more time. But if they still sell those City Passes you might consider that. Good luck!

3. Kevin Goodwin

Kevin Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

You should take a stroll down by Cabrini Green while you're here. It's a beautiful part of the city. [​IMG]

On a more serious note, I believe McClurg Ct. has the DLP screen downtown. You could probably do a search on it. I think the Texas Instruments DLP page has links.

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Museum of Science and Industry... put in as much time as you can, up to a full day. It's an awesome place.

http://www.msichicago.org/

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

What Matt said—get there when it opens and go straight to the submarine. Otherwise you might have to wait in line for quite a while.

The Art Institute is first rate. Especially their Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collections.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Navy Pier. Some nice restaraunts and an IMAX theater.

7. Kim D

Kim D Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine once called Chicago "a manageable New York City". It's a small big town. My husband and I walk everywhere.

The theater with DLP is River East 21. Address is 322 East Illinois. You can find it on http://www.amctheatres.com.

Check out www.metromix.com to see what's going on. Be sure to click the link for the Festival Guide. Taste of Chicago is coming up and it is always popular. Jazz Fest is free but it's not until the end of August. Did you mention when you would be here?

Lincoln Park Zoo is free and just off the lake.

If you're a runner, running along the lakefront is always nice. Oak Street Beach is always good for people watching.

You could even go to Cabrini Green if you like. Years ago, cops would warn the unsuspecting to turn around and head the other direction because it was a very scary place to be any time of day. It's being torn down one building at a time. You would be surprised at the price of housing in that area now!

Chicago is a great town. So much to do and some of it is free!

- kim

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

eat! Some of the best food in the nation, ask around for the local haunts when you get there...

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

10. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i'll second the Art Institute in a big way. I spent several hours there one day and had to be dragged kicking and screaming out the door by my wife.

11. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I would second Blue Man Group. I saw them in Vegas and 1 word AMAZING!!!

12. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

be sure to get a REAL Chicago style hot dog! Damn I miss those when I'm in L.A.!

13. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

14. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Do I get the feeling Cabrini Green is something to avoid? :p)

It is Chicago, so let's not forget Pizza!!

Maybe one of you locals can tell Doug if there is still a Giordano's around there. I sure remember going there last time I was in Chicago.

15. Kim D

Kim D Stunt Coordinator

Do a google search on Cabrini Green and you will see that it has changed. Here's just one article and it's from three years ago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...3751719.column

If you've even been to Chicago in the old days when Cabrini Green was scary, then you would find it very interesting to drive through it now.

- kim

16. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Skip the Cabrini Green area unless seeing yuppie condos and townhomes interspersed with blighted housing projects is your cup of tea.

Absolutely plan on spending the better part of a day at the Museum of Science and Industry. Far and away my favorite place in Chicago. That's why I'm a member. [​IMG] There are several bus lines as well as a commuter rail line (DON'T take the El to it, though) that run from downtown. (As an aside, every year on the anniversary of the U-505 submarine's capture--June 4, the museum hosts an event that brings together both American AND German veterans that were involved in its operation and capture. Members are able to attend lectures and attend personal tours of the submarine with these vets. It's pretty fascinating yet humbling to meet people that were such an integral part of history.)

Another kickass museum right in the heart of downtown is the Museum of Broadcast Communications. For three bucks, you can use one of their booths to access their archive of over 4,000 radio programs, as well as over 10,000 television shows and and equal number of TV commercials. They also have a news studio where they'll videotape you as you assume the role of a network news anchor. Very cool.

Navy Pier...probably the most overrated attraction in town. Don't plan on spending more than an hour or two there. I enjoy the view from the John Hancock Center observatory more than the Skydeck at Sears Tower. Not only is the Hancock Center a more handsome building than Sears, they have a renowned restaurant on the 95th floor and a lounge on the 96th floor that's also open for lunch.

The main auditorium at McClurg Court theater--downtown at 330 E. Ohio Street (a stone's throw from the aforementioned AMC East 21) is the best theater in the city. Their main auditorium has a digital projector. You just need to check the film listings to see if anything is being shown digitally during your visit.

Also try to take in one of the city's architectural tours given by the Chicago Architecture Foundation. The cruise by riverboat is especially recommended. There's also the combined river/lake sightseeing cruises that dock at Michigan Avenue on the Chicago River.

If you want to see Blue Man Group, try Hot Tix the day of the show. They often have day-of-performance tickets to the show for half-price, especially during the week.

Have a blast.

17. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the info. I am here now and enjoying it... got to see the sox lose today. I must be bad luck! I will take it out on the cubs Friday.

I mostly only have late afternoon and nights, but I hope to get to Blueman on their Wednesday show.

Does anyone know if there is a Coca-Cola store here?

What a beautiful city and the staff at the Hilton are treating me fabulously, feel like a king!

18. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

19. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Oh, see Blue Man and you'll never regret it! A friend of mine saw them in Chicago last week for the first time and had his mind blown - they're so amazing it's difficult to explain...

See them! You won't be sorry!

20. Kim D

Kim D Stunt Coordinator

Go to The Art Institute on Tuesday. It usually closes at 4:30 or 5pm but on Tuesdays it is open until 8pm. Tuesday is also free admission.

111 South Michigan Avenue
    (312) 443-3600

- kim