Chicago DVD-A - must buy

Discussion in 'Music' started by Emil Stoica, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Hi folks,

So today I have been listening to the Chicago II DVD-A disc and this is simply stunning. Right up there with the new Steely Dan disc as far as sonics go. As a matter of fact, after a couple of listens, I think this is my favorite DVD-A out of the 30 I own. I only have listened in multi-channel, but this album simply fills the room and puts a huge smile on my face. Compared to the disappointing (IMO) reissue CD, there is no compression found here. Just beautiful! Can not wait for Chicago V.

Also have to give props to Circuitcity.com for quick shipment. I see that several other online stores are listing this title as TBA on release date. Do not know why yet. But when you can, buy this disc.

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I received this disc today as well, and have been equally impressed. This is the finest presentation of this material to date, and should instantly become the definitive version. Surround mix is top notch (what do you expect, its Warner, the best in the business in surround mixes), and the stereo track is no slouch either at 192kHz/24bit. I can't wait to get more Chicago on DVD-A

[​IMG] [​IMG]

J

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Guys,

I haven't had the chance to play this disc yet, but I'm glad that you two are enjoying Chicago II.

I have yet to here a vrsion which please me sonically so maybe John Kellog has figured out a way to make the master tapes sound good.

I justgot contact info for John Kellog and will be contacting him later this wek.

Enjoy the discs, and I envy you for the moment [​IMG]
    Regards,

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Wow, this is great news. I have been listening to Chicago for well over 30 years now and I had given up on the early albums ever sounding any good. I just assumed the original tapes must have problems because every album/CD sounded crappy.

Can't wait to pick this (& "Kamakiriad") up!! [​IMG]

5. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

This is fantastic news!! I never had the vinyl, only the CD and they've always sounded bad! For this to sound excellent has me really excited!

I hope that the local stores will have it in stock today as it's a must have for me!Can't wait to hear it!

David

6. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    This is exciting news! I'll have to track down a copy of this tomorrow. Of the early Chicago albums, I always thought II sounded the worst (technically speaking) with lots of tape hiss, etc. Even when released on vinyl, II's overall sound quality was inferior to the Chigao Transit Authority album. I always assumed that James William Guercio rushed this record, maybe in response to direct urgings from CBS to get the album out the door while the group was still riding the wave of CTA momentum?) So, if the sonics are as good as you say on this disc, then CTA and Chicago III (if and when they show up...) should sound even better! Until then, I will happily live with II and V!! Make Me Smile, indeed![​IMG] [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Emil, thanks for posting your thoughts on this one. I was concerned about this disc since the remastered Chicago CDs have gotten mostly bad reviews from what I have read. I'll have to check it out!

8. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Man, you guys are killing me. Now I am really excited. I got the e-mail that CC shipped my copy last Thursday and I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival. Hopefully today. This was the first album that I ever purchased and I guess started me down this road of audiophile madness.
    Jeff

9. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

"Colour My World" sounds exceedingly good in 24bit Surround now.

This version does blow away the cd version and even the Stereo Advanced Resolution track.

Good job[​IMG]

10. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I am also thrilled to hear the good news about this disc. The only version of II that I have owned was the last remaster, for which I'll politely say greatly underwhelmed me (like putting a mattress between the speakers and ears). Time to order.

Doug

11. David Coleman

Why does my stereo read 24/96? Thought it was suppose to be 24/192? Anyone elses read 24/96?

12. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

How did Columbia/Sony let this slip away? Was their catalog sold to another label? If it was still with Columbia, I assume Chicago would be released on SACD. This is the first group that makes me wish I had a universal player.

13. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Marty, the later stuff is an (Warner) Reprise so they likely has the rights to it. I will be getting this disc as what I have an CD leaves a bunch to be desired.

14. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

15. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Mine also reads 24/96 and I have a Panasonic RP91.

16. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

17. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

I put the disc into my Denon 2900 and it also shows 24/96 on stereo as well. Looks like a packaging error.

18. David Coleman

Got the chance to sample this DVDA and II has never sounded this good! No more transistor radio horns!

I like the multi channel mix and love how they mixed the lead vocals for the multi channel. Honestly it may be the finest lead vocal mix of any multichannel release i've heard! COLOUR MY WORLD as mentioned above is fantastic! As a matter of fact all the Terry Kath lead vocals are fantastic as you can really tell the character is his voice.

I must mention that I really like what they did with the intro of FANCY COLOURS and the windchimes, moving the sound throughout the 5 channels! AM/PM MOURNING, BETTER END SOON, MAKE ME SMILE and POEM FOR THE PEOPLE are exciting listens with the new mix! I'm not saying that this disc sounds newly recorded. There's still some compression you can hear in the vocals and horns but this album has never sounded this open before!

I do have a caveat though. The kickdrum I find to be extremely harsh! In songs like SO MUCH TO SAY, 25 OR 6 TO 4 and POEM FOR THE PEOPLE it sounds like my subwoofer is gonna explode almost as you hear every thump of the bass drum! I guess for some this could be an pleasure as for the first time you get to really hear Daniel Seraphine's playing! However I find it to be a bit unbalanced! It's not quite that prominent on the stereo mix or loud!

Even with the mislabeling of the stereo track this is a must buy! Can't wait till they bring out VII and CTA as those are my next favorite ones!

David

19. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

20. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

They should be absolutely tarred & feathered for leaving out the 2 single-mix bonus tracks. Now I have to keep my remastered red book version instead of being able to have just the DVD-A. They pulled similar crap with the Steely Dan disc with the shortened Taxicab Confessions, and EMI pulled the same thing with Music From Big Pink. This is a trend that HAS TO BE NIPPED IN THE BUD!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]