Cheyenne - 1st Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brent Avery, May 26, 2006.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Received a copy of the first season boxset containing all 15 episodes - 5 discs in three slimcases. Included is a 13 min. 30 sec. interview with Clint Walker on disc 5. It was nice to listen to him talk about his life before the show and how he ended up in Hollywood and eventually Cheyenne. I only wish it had been longer. As for the shows themselves they look pretty good overall but do have more than their share of specks appearing quite often but despite this the mostly sharp image offsets this. It would have been nice if they could have cleaned them up some more but perhaps Warners already spent some time on the elements - I cannot really say one way or the other but given their age I'm happy to see them in very acceptable condition. Audio comes across well enough but I have only done a sampling of a few episodes so far. Hopefullly Warners will be motivated to release other shows if this set sells well. Perhaps we may see Maverick, Sugarfoot, Lawman or Colt .45 some day.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I look forward to this and hope for Sugarfoot and Bronco in the future.

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I was very surprised to see that these episodes are about 41 mins each (the ones I've seen so far). I figured a series from 1955 would be around 52 mins. This WAS an hour-long show, right?

Gord

4. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Gord, 41 minutes is the correct time for the early episodes of Cheyenne; they are not cut. When Cheyenne was first broadcast in 1955, Warner Brothers also included a short 10 minute featurette on some of their theatrical productions. You can see a few of these examples on the DVD of the theatrical release of John Ford's classic "The Searchers." You have to remember that in the early 1950s, the major movie production studios viewed television as a competitor which was going to take paying customers out of the theaters. It took the majors a few years to embrace television production. When Warner entered the television market in 1955 it was still very concerned about the concept of free TV versus paying customers in the movie theaters so they created early "behind the scenes" documentaries to cross-sell their theatrical releases. For more information on this, see:

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/...rnerbrothe.htm

It would have been nice if Warner Home Video had included a few of the documentary segments to give viewers a sense of how Cheyenne was actually broadcast in 1955 as part of "Warner Brothers Presents" but, as I mentioned, there are a few examples included on "The Searchers."

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Since I have never encountered reruns of this TV show in my 32 years of TV viewing(starting at age 8, when I would have cared)and have always wanted to see this show I will be a little more forgiving of specks and small print damage. This is one of many TV Westerns that has high ratings and is fondly remembered but yet has always been absent from TV Reruns.

6. Gord Lacey

Thanks for the info, Bob, I really appreciate it!

Gord

7. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Randy, I have Warner's "Television Favorites" 3-episode release of Cheyenne that was released last Fall and I thought the episodes looked fairly solid considering the age of the series. I have no hesitations whatsoever about picking up Season 1 based on the episodes that I saw in the sampler. The fact that a Clint Walker interview is included just sweetens the deal for me. It's really great to see that the three shows that introduced the "adult Western" concept on television all have had DVD releases, the other two being "Gunsmoke" and "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp," both of which have had "Best of" collections released within the past year.

8. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I've long wondered whether or not those shorter episodes (from 1st-season, when it was a part of "WB Presents") were part of the "Cheyenne" syndicated package, when it was rerun in following decades. I just saw the series a few times, in the 1970s, as a kid. That is, until Goodlife/AmericanLife started airing it in recent years. Anyway, I'm going to be picking this up, although probably not next week (my wallet will be suffering enough, due to "Wild Wild West"). I like the WB western shows, although they did seem to take a sometimes less-interesting route, playing more like mini-movies, fitting their characters into old, available studio-owned scripts, as opposed to the anthology/character-study approach of shows like "Gunsmoke" or "Wagon Train." One of "Cheyenne's" big virtues is that Clint Walker is such a likeable lug, in his quiet, low-key manner. Apparently L.Q. Jones is a regular or semi-regular in this first season also. So, I'm looking forward to it, even though these early episodes will probably be a tad dated, as WB was then 'finding its way' in television.

9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Anyone view this yet? I'm still waiting for my set and wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on the series and transfers after viewing the DVDs.

10. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Brent
    Where did you order your set from? You mentioned 5 discs in 3 slim cases. The set I just received was 5 full size cases and no box they were just shrink wrapped together with a barcode on the outside. Pretty poor packaging and a huge waste of shelf space especially for only 15 episodes. I hope the F Troop and other Warner TV sets do not follow this presentation.

Gord
    What packaging did you receive your set in?

Thanks

12. Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch Second Unit

Randy, I ordered my set from Amazon and it had three nice slimline cases in a professional slipcase. It doesn't make any sense that you would receive that kind of packaging.

13. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

It surprised me as well. It almost looks like they intended to sell them as seperate discs but they are labeled disc 1, disc 2, etc.
    I received mine from Deep Discount. I think I am going to ask for a replacement if this is not the standard for this release. I'm worried because I have F Troop coming as well and I hope it is not in the same packaging.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    My order from Digital Eyes has the same packaging as yours. Quite dissappointing.

Crawdaddy

15. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Not that anyone would notice this (including me, who ordered the set from DDD this morning as part of their 20% off sale), but I went back to the description at DDD and it does say shrinkwrap.

Special Features

DVD Features:

5 Disc Shrinkwrap
    Full Frame - 1.33
    Audio:
    (unspecified) - English
    Subitles - French, Spanish - Optional

For the life of me, I don't understand why Warner would have two different packaging options unless they are simply trying to get rid of an excess inventory of the larger style cases. There was no such description for F-Troop, however, which looks to be a box set.

16. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yep either they are getting rid of packaging or they made an intial batch using this packaging and then changed their minds.

17. Gord Lacey

Sounds like some retailers messed up and ordered the rental packaging. There are a few studios (like Warner Bros, HBO and Universal) that release rental packaging for their TV titles. This makes it easier for places to rent the individual discs since each disc comes in its own case. I heard a few places did this with Deadwood Season 2 as well.

BTW - Warner Bros makes the differences between the two sets clear on their retail site. Here's how they list them:

Cheyenne: The Complete First Season
    DVD | Standard | Slipcase | Multi Disc

Cheyenne: The Complete First Season
    DVD | Standard | Shrinkwrap | Multi Disc | Rental Ready

The problem is with the retailers, not anything Warner Bros has done (they've offered rental ready packaging for a few years now, so this isn't anything new).

Gord

18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Thanks Gord
    This answer makes sense however dumb it is on the side on the retailers. These sets have to be costing them more as well due to the larger packaging.
    In more dissapointing news I just received F Troop and it has the same packaging only 6 seperate discs and cases. With releases like this I'll need an add-on to my house quickly. I don't think I will be able to buy any future Warner TV sets until it can be confirmed which sets the retailers are stocking.
    Very Dissapointing indeed.

19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

Randy I'd Return them and either ask for the retail set or buy elsewhere.

20. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I'm thinking about that but from Deep Discount's description it sounds like they only ordered this version. I will give them a call and see if I can get a refund and order somewhere else but it almost forces me to pay more and buy them from a retail store to make sure they are correct since other internet stores are ordering these as well.