Chevy Sprint HELP QUICK QUESTION

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by kevin_tomb, Aug 17, 2003.

1. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

I need this answer quick...lol...IN the 1980s chevy made a car called the SPRINT. It was very small, kinda like a GEO METRO. I need to know who actually manufactured the car. Was it SUZUKI or ??.....Just an answer needed really quick. Im thinking its very similar to the METRO, but could be some other SUZUKI car,...not sure...ITS DEFINETELY NOT A GM DESIGN< but a japanese makeover.

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    IIRC the Sprint was the Chevy version of the 3 cylinder Suzuki Swift.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Chevy Sprint was the predecessor to the Geo (later Chevy) Metro. It was made by Suzuki as was/is the Metro.

Typically Japanese car models run on a 5 year cycle, with major revisions every 5 years and only minor changes in between. The Metro/Swift was a major revision of the Sprint. I don't think Suzuki ever marketed the earlier Sprint generation in the US under the Suzuki name, it was a GM exclusive.

Although there were name changes in the US, in Japan this model was called the Cultus or something similar and the name did not change in Japan when the Metro/Swift was introduced.

Cars made by other mfgs and marketed by US automakers are called "captive imports".

Often in the past US mfgs have sold Captive imports from mfgs that do not themselves market the cars here.

The Dodge Colt of the early 70's was actually a Mitsubishi product and Mits did not have a US presence of their own for several years after it's introduction by Chrysler.

An interesting twist on this was the Mitsubishi marketing of the Hyundai Excel back in the mid-80s under the Mitsubishi name. The exact model name escapes me at present but the car was badged as a Mitsubishi and sold at Mits dealerships when in fact it was a 1st generation Hyundai Excel. So we have an example of an import brand having a captive import of yet another import mfg.

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yep, my parents had an '86 Chevy Sprint that I inherited in High School. It was definately a 3 cylinder. It was definately made by Suzuki. About 55hp IIRC. That little car was alot of fun, got crazy gas milegage and was pretty much bullet-proof.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

they actually sold a turbocharged version of the Sprint for a year or so--very rare.

In Japan there is an entire class of cars even smaller than the Sprint--limited by government regs to a 660CC or smaller engine and the width and length are also limited, though height isn't so some of them look like phone booths on wheels. These are popular in Japan as they are exempt from the law over there that states you must prove you have off-street parking in order to register your car. Max advertised hp on these is 63hp, by law.

There are high performance models of these minis with dohc, 5 valves per cylinder, and turbo or supercharging, all claiming no more than 63hp--yeah, right!!