What's new

Chevy Silverado, why...? (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
This may be more appropriate to a car related forum, but the only ones I belong to are sport-compact forums so this is as good a place as any to ask. Why does chevy not offer a full crew cab on its 1500 series Silverado? You have to step up to the 1500 HD or the 2500 series (3/4 ton) to get anything but the extended cab. I'm not fond of the extended cab because it has less rear seat legroom than my compact Mazda Protege, but when I went to chevy's site and configured a 1500 HD as soon as I click 4X4 and quad/crew cab, the price updates and its over $35,000!!!! I can get an F-150 and a RAM 1500 base model with crew cab, why not chevy?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Charles I am a chevy fan myself but they need help. I can't answer your question but I just want to vent a little. As we know Ford has the lightning truck 385hp supercharged. Dodge is producing a 500hp truck. Both are in a regular cab version. Chevy comes out with the silverado SS as extended cab only and I beleive not 100% positive that it has 345hp. Chevy need to wake up and make some hp I know they can do it they make all these prototype cars but don't produce them. The best thing they have going for them is the Corvette Z06 that is one bad car. To top it all off they stop production of the Camaro. Back to the trucks if I was buying a truck for the family yes ex-cab would be great but if I'm buying for performance I would like regular cab so I think Chevy should produce a regular cab SS siverado and add a little hp. I'm not a big fan of the new lights on the front of the siverado either I like the old ones bettet. After all this it's still not enough to make me turn to ford or dodge. But they do make some nice trucks.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I'm not only worried about what will happen to chevy truck sales from Ford and Dodge but also from the fact that Toyota is upsizing its Tundra to a true full size pickup and Nissan is coming out with a fullsize truck above the frontier. That will make 4 full size trucks with better cab configurations at the entry level. Lets face it, a huge percentage of the truck market is going to people who want an SUV but would rather have a truck bed than a cargo area (they haul dirty stuff or oversized stuff) but they really need to comfortably seat 5. I've been in the back seat of a 1500 Silverado and I will not buy one when the time comes if they dont offer a true crew cab on the base model by then (as I mentioned in my first post, I cant spring for $35,000+ for the HD just to get a crew cab). I think GM as a company is going in the right direction, but you can look at their car lineup and see past poor decisions still lingering. We'll see. I like the new headlights though.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Chevy does make a crew cab 1500.

It's called the Avalanche. I have one and the versatility is awesome.

Plus, if you don't like the cladding, they now make an Avalanche WBH (Without Body Hardware) Also, they have a $3000 rebate + 0% financing.

Here's a yellow Avalanche with the lower body cladding:

Blue 4WD Without body hardware, custom wheels:

Almost forgot..Here are some pics of my Avalanche :)
http://community.webshots.com/album/70131098EEWqrd

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Can't answer your Chevy question, but what swayed my wife and I on the Dodge Ram Quad Cab was the fact that it was the only club cab that had a full length (6') bed. I looked at the Ford and was turned off by the fact that the added cab space was at the expense of bed length. Of course, the flip side is that my Ram 1500 (with its 6' bed) is as long as a truck with an extended (8') bed. The fact that the Ram is also available with an 8' bed gets to the brink of being rediculously long.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I wasnt aware of the new Avalanch without the cladding. I'll have to look into it.
Yeah, it's turning alot of people to the Avalanche that didn't like it before with all the plastic. I kinda like it, and it is practical. I'll never get a door ding, and GM isn't charging an arm and a leg for the cladding pieces if you break one.

I don't know if you noticed of not, but the 2003 models have a darker colored cladding. Almost black. It's 100% nicer looking.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Cmon, you know you want a 1500HD :)

Although i gotta tell ya, i absolutely hate the new front end of the 03's :frowning:

PS- Wait a bit. In December they will offer a Avalanche type truck without the Avalanche plastic cladding.

its basically a crew cab with a 5 1/2' bed.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hmmm.... its going to be a while any way, but I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical that a truck with a $35,000 MSRP is going to be had for $28,000.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Even the Avalanche without body hardware still has that tupperware cladding on the bed and around it. I honestly think the Avalanche is the worst looking vehicle ever. Now the Ford SVT Lightning concept is a beautiful looking vehicle.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Yeah, but the truck coming in December wont have that tupperware on the bed, it outta be alright.

Yeah, the SVT is alright, but the price is likely insane.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
It's Chevy. Very simple. They have had problems for years upon years and not solved them because they still continue to sell like mad.

Yes I'm a GM owner so I'm allowed to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks