Chesky to resume DVD-Audio production

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Kotches, Oct 28, 2003.

1. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

It has been reported by High Fidelity Review (and others) that Chesky Records will resume production of DVD-Audio discs. Details of titles and target dates weren't provided, but given that Chesky captures @ 24/96K, this means the work involved isn't as dramatic as it could otherwise be.

Personally, I hope he has more material at the same sonic level as Bucky Pizzarelli's Swing Live which has been reference grade material since its release, and utilizes 6.0, with two height speakers rather than traditional 5.1 mixing.

Regards,

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    John have you got a 6.0 system with two height speakers? I don't...I really have not liked some of their M/C mixing for SACD, that 6.0 stuff. 6.0 is a great theory but it's become a 5.1 world for better or worse.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I am glad to see Chesky considering some new releases. David has complained about how slow the sales have been in the past but I guess he may be more optimistic now.

As fas as 6.0 goes, I have listened in the mastering suite a few times and it is awesome, but Rachael is right that it is a rare person who has the proper setup. I think 5.1 is very well established.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Swing Live has 2/4/6 mixes (Stereo, Quad, Stereo+Height).

If I do the upgrade to 7.1 next year as I am planning I would be able to include height playback for 6.0 by moving speakers around, as well as correctly position speakers for Tacet and MDG 2+2+2 recordings.

IMO, if Dolby adds the height channel (as rumored) I think we'll see more people with speakers available in the proper position to take advantage of Chesky's 6.0 mixing technique.

The difference that height makes in the demos I've heard (Meridian and Muse) is very intriguing and gives the front of the room an incredibly open spacious quality that stands out marvelously.

Regards,