What's new

Chesky SACD's R being sold at above retail prices! (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Music prices are too high, PERIOD! Now retailers are charging above suggested retail prices. I was in Busted Buy this week and looked at their minescule SACD section. Low and behold was a copy of the Coryells on the Chesky label. Suprise, suprise! I've never seen anything but Sony SACD's there previously. The suggested retail of all Chesky SACD's is $19.98. Busted Buy had it priced at $22.98.
A couple of weeks ago I ordered Dave's True Story, another Chesky title, from a local retailer and expected to pay the retail price of $19.98. When it arrived they wanted either $22.99 or $23.99, I can't remember which. I refused to take the disc at that price and they refused to sell it for retail. It's proably sittig in their bin now?
WTF!!!!!!!! Music prices are way too high accross the board and now this! Full retail price isn't high enough? :frowning: What's going on?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, I was in a Best Buy in suburban Philly last night, and they had one copy of The Coryells SACD too for $22.99. I reacted the same way you did. That's O.K. Warner dropped the prices of DVD-Audio discs a few weeks back, and Best Buy still has them marked $22.99 (every Best Buy I have been too in the Philly area, Delaware, and New Jersey). A small chain of record stores in New Jersey that I frequent dropped the prices of all Warner DVD-Audio discs to $14.99 or $15.99 within the first week. Of course, amazon.com and circuitcity.com have them discounted as well ($14.99 and $13.99, respectively). Best Buy has no clue. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jerry, I heard about Best Buy selling Telarc SACD for $15.99 on Audio Asylum a few weeks ago. In addition, some people over there have reported seeing the discs in stores already. The Best Buy outside of Philly that I was in last night had no Telarc SACDs. :frowning:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It just occured to me that Dave's True Story was originally released, about three or four (?) weeks ago, at $19.98 and there could not have been a price "hangover". I could see that with older titles. For Budda's sake, the manager of the local dealer checked Chesky's site and said they must be underselling their customers! Ha! I think I'll check Busted Buy's .com to see if they have Telarc titles. Problem is I have most of their jazz and blues already.

Speaking of Telarc, on their site they have dual-disc sammplers, one for jazz and one for classical for an attractive price. I've never noticed them offered anywhere else. I check out samplers too because I likes them, likes them, yes I do. How's $14.99 sound?

The industry pinches the retailers and distributors so hard, I quess, maybe this kind of stuff is the inevitble result...? I hate being so cynical, but what's one to think?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, I could not find those samplers on Telarc's web site. Could you provide some more information? Thanks in advance.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:) Keith, they're two of the four new releases, the two silver coloured ones with 25 on the covers....a little to the right of the late Ray Brown's new album. They're the 25 year aniversary samplers. Are they just too obvious to be noticed? ;) Best wishes!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Rachael,
I also saw the $22.99 price at Best Buy, much to my dismay. I explained that I had some connection to the company and asked the store manager what was going on? He said that the price of $22.99 was in their official price database so it appeared correct from a store manager standpoint. When I showed him the price drop announcement on Chesky's website, he believed that someone at corporate had made a mistake and it was likely affecting all Best Buys. He promised to notify someone.
I'll let David and Norman know and they can check in better than I.
:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Cool Lee! :)
Maybe those samplers aren't SACD's? I just assumed they were....I thought they were just going to all hybrid discs, wish, wish! They're decent samplers even if they are CD's.:emoji_thumbsup:

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I noticed different stuff at bb this weekend... I picked up Spirogyra/In modern times hybrid/multi channel sacd for $15.99. I like it. They also had G. Nash dvd-a Songs for Survivors for $19.99

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
That Spyro Gyra is quite good, John, I've had it for many months. I bought Spyro Gyra's first album years ago. They were good then and got a bit better. You got a better price. Did you sail to Delaware or Bermuda for it?;) Best wishes!
P.S.- Lee, I'm very intrested in Chesky's reaction! :)

TomCW

Second Unit
If you want a good price, try
http://cheap-cds.com/
They have some SACDs and lots and lots of redbook CDs at pretty good prices. I have found them to be fast and reliable. I use CDNOW to gather info and then buy at cheap cds.
Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
Thanks for the information. Hopefully Best Buy will get its act together...with Warner DVD-Audio discs too.
Rachael,
I think the sampler discs you were talking about are plain old CDs. :frowning: I'd like to see Telarc release a sampler or two on SACD.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Cheap-cd.com has high shipping charges. The Alison Krauss New Favorite CD is $12.99, but $15.41 with the shipping charge applied. The Alison Krauss Now That I've Found You...A Collection SACD is $15.99, but $19.76 with shipping. Fortunately, I don't need those discs.

Like most e-tailers, I guess, it really only pays to buy from them if you are going to order several discs to save on shipping or if you are looking for something unusual that the brick-and-mortar stores don't have. There is no point to ordering a relatively common CD.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I haven't gone back and looked at the samplers Keith. I will. If they're not SACD's I think I'll hold out till they offer them as such. Lee, we all want to know what da bozz thinks! I read his philosophy on M-C audio on his site and it sounds good but it's not so practical. Best wishes guyz!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, it is surprising and disappointing that Telarc has not released SACD samplers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks